OK, I got an incubator (a brand new Little Giant Still-Air) which had 29 Duck. Most eggs were set around the 2nd of April (others set up to the 8th). Candled and removed the infertile at two weeks. All showed activity and beautiful development.
The first duck hatched April 30th with the next couple of days four more came out... THEN NOTHING. May 4th I cleaned the incubator and took the eggs to be discarded. When I opened I found two empty - then the next four had beautiful full grown hatchlings.
This panicked me so I candled and reset sixteen eggs. I even did the "water test"* on them with viable results.
Anyway, So now that it's more than seven days since the latest egg was "suppose" to hatch, and there is NO smell(s), and only one has shell discoloration. How long should I wait... can I wait? Please advise. Thanks.
* The "Water Test" for Viable Hatching Eggs
- get a deep bowl (allowing the eggs to float or sink) with 100 degree water
- inspect each egg to make sure there is no cracked/pipped (or you’ll drown it)
- gently lower the egg deep into the water and let go, wait for the little disturbance (a few minutes to settle).
- Judged Results As Follows:
1. Bottom Sinker = Dud, Never Developed
2. High Floater (Bobbing without weights) which is 45% or more of the egg above the water line = Dud, No Development or Fetal Demise.
3. Low Floater = Viable Egg, Development Full Term
4. Low Floater Rocking! = Live Embryo, Viable Egg.
- dry and replace the viable in the incubator, discarding duds