Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Hatching Eggs: How long is too long to wait to give up

(17 posts)

1. fagusabello

OK, I got an incubator (a brand new Little Giant Still-Air) which had 29 Duck. Most eggs were set around the 2nd of April (others set up to the 8th). Candled and removed the infertile at two weeks. All showed activity and beautiful development.

The first duck hatched April 30th with the next couple of days four more came out... THEN NOTHING. May 4th I cleaned the incubator and took the eggs to be discarded. When I opened I found two empty - then the next four had beautiful full grown hatchlings.

This panicked me so I candled and reset sixteen eggs. I even did the "water test"* on them with viable results.

Anyway, So now that it's more than seven days since the latest egg was "suppose" to hatch, and there is NO smell(s), and only one has shell discoloration. How long should I wait... can I wait? Please advise. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

* The "Water Test" for Viable Hatching Eggs

- get a deep bowl (allowing the eggs to float or sink) with 100 degree water
    - inspect each egg to make sure there is no cracked/pipped (or you’ll drown it)
    - gently lower the egg deep into the water and let go, wait for the little disturbance (a few minutes to settle).
    - Judged Results As Follows:

1. Bottom Sinker = Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (Bobbing without weights) which is 45% or more of the egg above the water line = Dud, No Development or Fetal Demise.

3. Low Floater = Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rocking! = Live Embryo, Viable Egg.

- dry and replace the viable in the incubator, discarding duds

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. fagusabello

Great clip of viable eggs in a Water Test

Get the Flash Videos

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I have never heard of this test. I wouldnt like to use it as duck shells are very porous. Anyhow. I would suggest putting each one to your ear and listen. There should be faint tapping or squeaking and if you put the egg on a table it will rock if its viable. 27-30 days would be about right.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

I have done this with chicken eggs and it is true, it works but never tried it with duck eggs . Hope the hatch continues , think they always advise to leave them a week after due date. Good luck .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Wilhelmine

The last post re waiting for ducks to hatch helped loads, this was going to be one of my questions. Two ducklings hatched and are under a lamp now, two tried to hatch unfortunately two other s didnt make it. Now waiting to see what happens with the rest.Hopefully goose and duck lovers out there can help me with another question! Had three broody hens and lots of goose eggs so put nine of these under chickens. Three days off hatch day and my worry is that I couldnt get the hens to nest on the ground, they are in boxes about a foot off the ground! when the goslings hatch they will probably fall. Thought of putting a pile of straw under boxes but the rest of the chickens will scratch that all over the place. I do have an incubator. Help!!!!!!! Should I leave eggs until hatching takes place and then transfer to lamp warmed area, move to incubator now or leave alone. Its worse than being a Mum!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

goslings and duklings are very bouncy so shouldnt be too hurt if they fall. putting a load of straw around will certainly help just in case.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

Hi Wilhelmine, As Sarah says ducklings and goslings are very bouncy and will come to no harm coming out of the nest box. I have seen ducklings jump from a hay loft in a barn which was extremely high. You don't even need to move them after hatch as the hens will keep them warm. The only difference in putting them on the ground to brood is that moisture comes up and helps the humidity needed for the eggs to hatch with ducks and geese.Good luck and look forward to hearing how it goes .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. so pleased Sarah and Mama have answered about the fall, my only worry has been mentioned by Mama and thats the humidity issues as I assumed geese would be the same as ducks but didn't know for sure, shouldn't Wilhelmine do as she suggested and put them in an incubator for the last few days maybe

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Mama

Hi Mo,My personal view is always to hatch under a broody if you have the choice. The eggs should have been misted as hens are not as moist as ducks or geese and not sure moving them now to a moist environment would help the hatch. It may but having never used an incubator I don't know .Think I have read on here that someone started eggs under a broody and then moved to an incy at a later date . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Wilhelmine

Thanks everyone for your quick response. I have been misting the goose eggs every day much to the disgust of the hens!!! but suffered the pecks and they carried on sitting. I will leave them under foster mums but if Im lucky and they hatch what to you all think about whipping them away and putting under the heat lamp with my little ducklings? Im worried that the other hens may have a go at them. Any thoughts?

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Mama

Hi, You could do that but not sure on how the ducklings would react to the new babies. By other hens , do you mean the rest of the flock or the new mums to be ? I was fortunate to be able to segregate my broodys from the rest of the flock so didn't have a problem. Think the decision must be yours depending on what your circumstances are. Look forward to hearing how they do and hope you have a good hatch . Mama. PS what breed are the Geese ?

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. Wilhelmine

Hi Mama, the geese are Emden and by rest of chickens I mean the flock. Havnt really got a place to seperate. Everywhere seems to have mums with babies of some kind or another! The ducklings (2) are 3 days old now. Re what went before. I took six duck eggs out of the incubator to check and they were not fertalized. There are five left, but I cant hear tapping or squeaking so I think as the day of hatching is passed these muscovy eggs may not be viable. If I have a problem with the goslings and hens I will have to put a seperator in the box where the ducklings are, in the shower! I will let you know how things go. I hope I get more goslings as the geese are only a year old. Gave lots of eggs but didnt set. Resorted to incubator, chickens and muscovies as mums. Muscovies hatched out five. Fingers crossed with the rest

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi. are all the eggs muscovy? as they take longer to hatch 33-35 days instead of the normal duck rate of 28 days.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. shaz

Hi
    I have 4 goslings and 2 ducklings all a similer age can i introduce them if so how do i start as i'd really like to run them together

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. Mama

Hello Shaz,It would be best if the little ones run in an ajoining pen for a while .they need to get used to seeing and hearing one another.Then for short periods during the day you can mix them . I would stay with them to see how they are reacting. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. Wilhelmine

Hi Sarah, yes they are all muscovy. Had ducklings hatch out naturally in March, 10 out of thirteen hatched and all by day 36. I wasnt sure how old the eggs were that I put in the incubator, counted the days, misted,rested etc. I think as two hatched ok on day 35, two didnt make it on day 36 and some were nor fertilised, tomorrow is day 40. I will check tham as thay are shadowed, not a good sign. Fingers crossed for the goose eggs under the chickens. Thanks again all for your advice. Will let you know how things go

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. shaz

Thanks mama i'ii give it a go

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.