Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Turkeys

Just hatched to replace stolen ones

(18 posts)

1. Bill

Hi everyone, Five months ago I posted "protect your birds" as I had my turkeys stolen. I didn't want to hatch any more as I thought they might go the same way. A friend gave me some eggs last month so I thought, what the hell, I'll start again with turkeys. I put them in the incubator and I now have 6 healthly poults. They are only a week old but they are eating and drinking well. I will not make the same mistake again by putting them in a pen next to the outside fence. When they are older their pen will be in the garden near my chicken house. this area is open to my dogs, who ignore the ducks, chickens, geese and guinea fowl, but will defend their land against any strangers. The turkeys are silver, the same as the ones I had stolen. Will keep you informed of their progress. Best regards Bill

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Hi Bill,
    Good to hear from you. Delighted to hear the hatch went well and you have some healthy turkey poults.
    What breed are the turkeys they sound like they are an attractive bird.

Look forward to moreupdates.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hello Bill,
    Great to hear the young turkeys are doing well.
    How are your pilgrim geese doing?

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Bill

Hi Lorna,
    The geese are doing well. I have had lots of eggs this year but I have not put any in the incubator as I thought I had enough geese but one of them has decided to sit on an egg. So I placed six fresh goose eggs in the nest and she is happy to stay on them. She has been sitting for five days now so I'm now sure she will stay until the end. She has decided I don't have enough geese. Best regards Bill

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hey thats exciting news Bill, lots of little goslings on the way I hope and I am pleased to hear you have a better protected area with your dogs on patrol! :-)
    Good luck

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Lovely to hear all this Bill, exciting times ahead and do hope they all stay safe and well. Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Bill

Hi Sara (admin)
    You asked "what breed are the turkeys?" I said they were silver, infact they are Lavender Turkeys. My wife thinks I must need new glasses, as I said they were silver. Well they are not white and look like dirty silver to me. The lady who gave me the eggs has confirmed they are Lavender / blue turkeys. I now know what breed they are---and so do you. Best wishes Bill

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Hi Bill,
    Thanks for letting me know. It will be interesting to find out about Lavender blue turkeys.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Bill

Hi Everyone,
    As promised I have an update on my turkeys.The six poults are growing and are healthy. The lady that gave me the eggs, called me last week and asked me if I wanted more turkeys. She had eight poults , two weeks old and their mother. I said I would have them as I have lots of space in my new turkey area. When I went to pick them up, she told me I could also have the two stags, which are about five months old. I was not planning to start my breeding program at this stage but could not leave the two stages on their own. So I now have fourteen poults, two stags and the poults mother. A total of seventeen lavender turkeys. I had a spare white cockerel which the lady wanted so that was the deal, one cockerel for eleven lavender turkeys. I shall now be breeding lots of lavender turkeys. I'm glad I can share some good news with the friends on this forum. The goose eggs that the goose was sitting on did not come to anything and I had to take them away from her. She can try again next year. Best wishes from Bill

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. campbell ridge
    Administrator

wow, that was a good deal - particularly as you had the "spare" cockerel!
    Hope all goes will with the new venture.
    Perhaps you could post some photos on here to share with us.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. quacking minx

aww great, bet your right chuffed :) would be great to see them :D

shame about the original turkey , do you mean by a fox or a human?

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

here is Bills original post. http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=1247
    You can click on a members name to see what previous posts they have made, saves repeating oneself. :)

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. Bill it's nice to read a good story for a change on here and sounds like a great swop for one cockerel, I know very little about turkeys, can you have more than one male or will they be kept in 2 groups

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. quacking minx

oh how awful, some people are scum.

we have travellers in the area at the mo, so I'm on guard at the moment

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. pinkpoultry

Hello All,
    As some of you may know I have 6 turkey babies that hached out on Easter Sunday, making them 2 months, 1 week and 3 days old. I bought 6 eggs, they were supposed to be 3 bourbon reds and 3 slate greys, but I actually have 4 bourbon reds, 1 slate grey and a black one... (naughty mother!) They are lovely little guys, a bit nutty but hey! Thats all good!
    Bill, you seem to know alot about turkeys! I was wondering if you had any advice for a new turkey owner?
    What we got them for was for Christmas, I didnt expect all 6 eggs to hatch! So we are having 2 for Christmas, swapping 1 for a goose, so that leaves 3. Which we would like to keep for them to have babies for next year. And then have those for Christmas too.
    I THINK (I have zero experience!) that I have 2 boys and 4 girls. Reasons for this are, 2 of the bourbon reds are bigger than the rest and their "nubbin" of skin above their beaks is larger than the others, those two are getting lots of bumps on their necks and I have seen them fluffing themselves right up and fanning their tails out and walking around each other-their necks and heads go bright red/purple when they do this, then go back to the pinky/white when they stop-the other 4 seem not to care at all. So are they boys do you think? Can you tell this young?
    More questions!
    When do turkeys start laying eggs? Will it be this year or next year?
    Are the two boys OK to be in with each other or will they fight like cockrels when they are older? They seems to freak out if I seperate them from each other, they all sleep and go everywhere in a big "turkey-baby-ball" They are never more than a few inches from each other!
    I have hung up a cabbage for them to peck at which they seem to love, any other things I should do to enrich their lives?
    Many thanks guys! I want them to have a nice life and be happy!
    P.S. Campbell my drake doesnt like them at all, he goes all angry if they come near him or his ladies. Also Tee one of my ducks throws herself at the turkeys if they are out at the same time, the turkeys look at her like she is nuts, but then leg it away from Campbell! Lol.
    Thanks again

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. Bill

Hi Pinkpoultry,
    I am not an expert on turkeys but I have been learning a lot from a book. The book is "Starting with Turkeys" by Katie Thear. I have found out from my own turkeys that they start laying in early April and finish in early to mid July. It depends on the light, so you can add extra light (a low watt bulb) in March to encourage them to start laying early. I live in Andalucia Spain, so I think they get more light in March than they would in England. I fed my poults on chick crumb at the start and then moved on to pellets when they got bigger. They like veg. scraps and I also hang a cabbage for them to eat and play with. It stops them getting bored. Hope I'v been some help but for expert advice buy a book like I did.
    Best wishes Bill

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. cutandrun

Hi just had stolen 7 turkeys in Milford Surrey november 2011
    its not the cost but the time and work put in i hope the bars//// die soon as it may well now put us of rearing more pigs and poultry so beware and lock up if you can and also shoot them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. how awful for you cutandrun hope everyones birds stay safe

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.