Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Helping Ducklings Hatch Out

(2 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by admin
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. Hi All,
    Had a visitor to my website who has 3 duck eggs that they have rescued after a fox attack.

"hello i have 3 little duck eggs that we got on the side of our house a little while back (the mother was eaten by a fox along with 10 of her eggs) so we decided to take in the remainign 3 we have had them in an incubator well the last 2 days u can hear soooo much pepping and its very loud u can hear them perfectly fine threw the incubator and shell's but the only problem is that one of of the ducks is trying to hatch but we think he might be stuck in the same position we can see his beack clearly and u can see some of his feathers but he hasnt moved his beak barely at all besides when he opens and closes it. the other 2 duck eggs have holes in them from when the ducks are picking at it but, but im really worried about the duck thats out of the shell. i read online that you can help the duck if its stuck and cannot help move around in the egg but i tryed earlier and i could see blood forming in some parts of the egg and i got worried and stopped. however i tryed peeling some parts of the outer shell off and the duck can move his beak a little bit more, what should i do now? also is the membrane the white paper like stuff on the inside of the shell? thanks George

I advised:

Hi george,
    Thanks for visiting farmingfriends and leaving your comment. if you think the duckling has been struggling to get out for a long time then I would help it. Yes the membrane is the white paper like stuff just inside the egg shell. If you peel some of the egg shell off you will see if the membrane has any obvious blood vessels where you need to avoid. As I said in the post above I try to peel as much of the shell and membrane off leaving a cup like shape so the duckling can get out. If you leave too much membrane showing then it will dry onto the duckling when you put them back in the incubator.
    I hope that your ducklings hatch successfully. I have to help 6 of the 7 I have and now they are adults and have been producing fertilised eggs which I have been selling for hatching and so have lots of related ducklings and ducks around the UK now so this was a very successful intervention!
    Just to let you know that I have a very popular duck forum with lots of members who are will to give advice and chat about their ducks.
    Let me know how the eggs get on.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

What advice would you give George?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I carefully peeled back the membrane on my little one as it seemed very thick. take a little at a time and moisten it a little so it gets softer. Mine was stuck in the shell for a over a day so we also gave it a little drop of water in a dropper which it swallowed immediately and seemed to revitalise it a little.
    good luck

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.