Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

kune kune pigs please help

(34 posts)

Tags:

1. katiedyer

i have a sow and a boar in together. they have been together about 3 months. i thought the sow was pregnant but over the weekend her vulva has swollen and there is a goey substance around it and on the boar. im not sure now if she is pregnant. she has started to bag up though. im so confused please any advise would be grateful

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi katie,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum.
    The gestation period of a sow or gilt is 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days or approximately (112-115 days.)So this is the right time scale for the time your sow and boar have been together.

There are a number of signs to look out for when a sow or gilt is about to farrow.
    http://www.farmingfriends.com/signs-of-a-farrowing-sow-or-gilt/

Restlessness. The sow or gilt will pace up and down or circle round and round.

Nesting. The sow or gilt will pull or the bedding material into one area and create a nest. They do this by carrying the bedding in their mouths and moving the straw with their feet. This usually occurs on the day of farrowing and it is an amazing sight to see as all the bedding that was previously covering the barn floor will now all be neatly in a nest shape - this happened when Cagney, my Saddleback sow, had her first litter. I went in to feed her and she was laid on her nest and not one piece of straw was anywhere else in the barn!

The size and shape of the stomach will increase before farrowing. I try to get into the habit of feeling the sow’s stomachs when I feed them so that I am aware of any changes in size and that the sows get used to me touching this area.

The size of the mammary glands will increase as they bag up with milk. I also try to touch the teats so that the sows get used to me doing this so that I can check for milk production before the onset of farrowing.

Milk production. Just before farrowing the sow or gilts milk will be released. You can check this by squeezing the teats and if milk droplets come out then farrowing is close.

The vulva becomes larger and reddens. The muscles around this area slacken before farrowing takes place. This is not always easy to see to the untrained eye but once your gilt and sow has farrowed once or twice it is easier to identify. it’s amazing how often a pig breeder spends looking at the animals bottom!

Laying down and stretching out the back legs will occur as farrowing begins. This is not always the case as some gilts and sows will stand to farrow. My saddleback sow Lacy did this when she was a gilt and had her first litter.

Heavy breathing. As farrowing begins the gilt or sow will start to blow and puff as she strains.

You need to separate the pigs before farrowing either into separate penned areas if they are outdoors or in different barns if indoors or in the same barn in farrowing crate which are sometimes used so that the sow doesn’t lay on the piglets as they are born.

About a week before farrowing the sows/gilts need to be wormed. (Noromectin can be injected.)

Before farrowing some owners will wash the teats and udders.

I hope this information is useful. Let me know how you get on. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. katiedyer

but can she still be pregnant eventhough my boar is still trying to mate with her?

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi katie,
    I am not sure of the answer to this. I would have thought that the boar would try regardless as it is an animal instinct to mate but then maybe they are more sophisticated and know by smell when they are able to mate or not!
    I will try to find this out for you.
    I do hope your kune kune is pregnant. Does your sow and boar have a name?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. katiedyer

the boar is called wayne and sow is called coleen kune kune.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. katiedyer

sorry to keep asking questions but my sows vulva has been red and swollen since friday 5 days so thats longer than it should be if she was just in season isnt it?

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi Katie, Love the names for your pigs!
    No worries about the questions, that's why we are here!
    In the pig book that is my constant reference, "Keeping Pigs" by Tony York,

it says, "the vulva becomes larger and also may noticeably redden whilst the muscles on either side of the tail slacken. This is a clear sign that farrowing is not far away."

Here is the vulva on my gilt when she was not pregnant.

Here is my sows vulva when she was just about to farrow.

Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. katiedyer

thats really helpful thank you hers is more like the second picture

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Hi Katie,
    Glad this is useful. That photo was literally a minute before she farrowed.

If your sow is going to farrow she will probably grab lots of straw in her mouth and then she may lay down and her breathing will quicken and become loud and laboured.

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. katiedyer

coleen has kicked wayne out of there bed now. i am a member of the kune kune society and a woman on there said that she probably isnt pregnant because if her vulva is swollen then she is in season. but i really think she is

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Hi There Katie

We used to keep pigs & the sows started producing milk just before they farrow. If you gently rub the udder, the sow will lie down. Then if you gently squeeze the teats milk will appear.

I am afraid that Waine may not be up to the job - it is possible that he is infertile. It is not unusual to get infertile boars.

But you should know in a few days if she is going to farrow or not!

TopVeg

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. katiedyer

thanks for your advice. also im going to buy a new piglet tomorrow a kune kune gilt 9 weeks old will she be ok to put in with the others? and do pigs have to live outside as mine live in a barn and go out for a couple of hours a dy which they hate?

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Hello again - pigs fight like mad when they are mixed - often to the death. If you have to put them together they can all be covered in something very smelly - so they think everyone smells the same so is OK. Oil is often used.
    The other way is to put them in a pen next to each other, for a week or so. Then introduce them slowly, for an hour or so. If they ALL have something very special to play with when you mix them, like some sods of grass, or leafy branches, it takes there mind off the foreigners!
    Good luck!

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. No - pigs do not have to live outside. Pigs do not have sweat glands, so they suffer in the heat - & like to wallow in something wet. But fresh air does us all good!

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. katiedyer

that makes me feel so much better! mine hate being out to long and have so much to do in there house. is it all pigs as i have kune kunes
    im going to get my new baby tomorrow so ill put her in a pen next to themand see how they are thank you

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. I am afraid I have not come across kune kunes. But if you pen the new pig close to the others so they can hear, smell & see each other that should help - good luck, hope it settles down! Lots of straw then it can hide if it wants to!

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. Hi katie,
    Hope your new piglet is ok and is accepted by Wayne and Coleen. Topveg has given excellent advice. I know that Topveg used to keep pigs so is an expert.
    I look forward to hearing about your new addition.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. katiedyer

hello mable my new piglet has been excepted finally and know is in love with my boar she follows him eveywhere its so funny ill try put some pics on thanks for all your avcise

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. campbell ridge
    Administrator

aw thats so sweet. hope it all continues well. I have been watching with interest :)
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. katiedyer

just a quick up date all is very good in the pig house everyone is getting on but my boar is being alittle excitable and keeps running at me and hurting my legs not sure what to do?!

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. Glad pigs are all friends. Never trust your boar. Always make sure you have a good escape route & take a pig board in the pen with you - so that you can fend him off if necessary. Talk to him firmly, but sternly, and tell him you are the boss!

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. Hi Katie,
    Glad that your new pig has settled in well. I agree with Topveg that you need to make sure the boar (Wayne, I think you said his name is)knows that you are the boss. When I had my two pigs, I am sure that they understood the word no. Cagney definately did and if she wanted to come out of the pen and I didn't want her to I just had to say no Cagney and she would go back. She was the submissive one as Lacy was the more dominant and in fact Lacy wouldn't have taken heed of the no if she wanted to come out of the pen as she knew she was the boss so I do think it's important for the pigs to know that you are the boss. So show no fear when your boar is running at you and as Topveg says have a board so you can stand the board on the floor infront of Wayne and between you and say no firmly. Make sure that the board is firmly on the floor as Lacy and Cagney would get their nose under it if they had half a chance and then it could hurt you and they can get through to where they want to be. Definately make sure that you have an escape route as well.
    I would love to see some photos of your kune kune pigs, i'll send you an email so you can send them if you like and then I can add them. How did you come up with the name Mable?
    Kind regards
    sAra @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. katiedyer

hello thanks for you very useful advice again. i have started to make sure i am holding a stick now as soon as he sees it he backs down thank god. mable got her name as she is from a honey farm and she is black ginger and cream ill send some pics x

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. katiedyer

where do i send the pics to?

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. Hi Katie,
    I will send you an email.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. katiedyer

did you get the pics also where will they be seen x

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. Hi Katie,
    I got your email but can´t open them in the farmingfriends email as the file is too big so have sent you my personal email and when i get them them I´ll add them to the site under this thread but I´ll email you when they are on as I am currently in Spain so hopefully will add themSat or Sun when i get back.
    Kind regard
    Sara from farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. Hi Katie,
    Your pigs are just lovely.

Coleen the kunekune gilt.

Wayne the kunekune boar.

Mable the kunekune piglet.

I love the markings on Mable.

Great to see the photos. thanks for sharing. I hope your pigs are all ok.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. Hello from Pennsylvania. I was beyond excited to find this discussion. We are also raising Kune Kune pigs. I have the exact same questions about my gilt Ramona. She has been with a boar through three heat cycles. I think she may be pregnant but am not sure. She is acting melancholy and resting more that usual. I think she may have cycled again but am not sure. It was 29 days from the last day of her last cycle. Is this normal. My older boar did not seem interested in her but my eight month old boar was trying to breed her. She was sort of standing for him but I'm not sure he was tall enough to really accomplish anything.
    Should I be concerned about her disposition? I'm beginning to realize that breeding Kunes can be difficult.
    Also, I can not find a vet anywhere near me that know anything about pig in general let alone working with breeding pigs.

Posted 6 years ago #
  30. jason taylor

hello guys i have read your discushion and would like to know what age can i start mating my soer with my boar they are kune kunes

kind regards jason

p.s sorry about the spellings

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.