Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

Feeding Ducks Greens and Vegetables

(7 posts)

1. Hi all,

I have been asked about feeding ducklings vegetables.

"I was just wondering what kinds of veggies ducklings can have.
    I know that ducks like tomatoes but are they okay for ducklings?" Jane

Hi Jane,
    Ducklings like lettuce or cabbage shredded up and grass. I am not sure about tomatoes.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Let me know what veg you feed your ducks and ducklings. I think I read that Sarah (campbell ridge) chops up courgette and feeds to her ducks.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, my ducklings have had veggies along with their chick crumb from about a week old . Now they are 3 and 1/2 weeks old they are on growers pellets.
    They also eat: Chopped boiled egg and finely sliced cooked pasta.
    Veggies include:
    Carrot, courgette, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, tomato, cucumber, cooked potato.
    (all chopped finely or grated)
    But their favourite of all are mealworms and earthworms. Handy for encouraging them to feed from you.
    They are all very lively, gregarious and healthy.
    regards
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Christinao

Hi,

Having read Sarah's post on feeding ducklings shredded courgettes, I tried it with my three, just 2 weeks old and they absolutely love it. They start cheeping as soon as they see me and are now quite unimpressed with the shredded lettuce leaves, it has to be courgettes! They will feed from my hand and run towards me as soon as they see I have the green gold. So, so sweet.

Funnily enough, my friend, who lent me the incubator, heat lamp etc and has hatched loads of ducklings was really surprised when they almost bit her hand off when she offered them some. She said, ours never went mad like this, but then they were never offered it...... Well worth trying them on some greens!

Best wishes
    Christina

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hi Christina,
    It's just my luck I've got no courgettes this year, usually have a glut of them but hubbie is not keen. Will have to buy one and see how my ducks react to courgette. Thanks for letting us know how yours took to the greens.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hi All,

Jim has just emailed me about his runner ducks and what treats to feed his ducks.

"Hi Sara, I have a question...we have two runner ducks that were abandoned...we gave them a garden spot to live thinking we only needed to worry about coyotes....my wife was on the way to feed our dogs...and heard a commotion...upon investigation she saw a Mink had our large Runner by the leg and was trying to drag him into a small shed...Linda must have kicked into Mommy mode she ran to them and started bashing the mink with the dog food bowls...and trying to kick him too...he would not let go...she finally hit him enough that he let go and ran off. When I got home about an hour later, went into the garden to check on the ducks on one of the rows, the mink was laying dead...so I guess those dog food bowls did the trick...

Now to bring this long story to a conclusion, I no longer want them to be in the garden, we have about 4 acres we fenced for some small dogs and would like to just let the little Duckies run loose.. none of my dogs will bother them, and in fact I think they will help protect them if nothing else.

We have them in a small enclosed pen while they are convalescing and I am guessing they will be there another 10 or so days...(both are almost back to normal...noisy, strong and confident) I would like to start giving them something great to eat when I pick them up at night to put in their night pen...(a very secure plastic steel cage)...with the idea being they will start looking forward to me coming out and I will be able to get them in at night once and if we give them the run of the place... any ideas on what might be their favorite food....my wife loves them because they eat slugs...she is our night slug hunter...roaming around the yard with her cottage cheese carton in hand looking for the best slugs for the kids...ha ha ha Jim"

I would suggest shredded lettuce, mealworms, slugs, snails, worms, spinach beet leaves.

What would you suggest to Jim?

Thanks
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

"DUCK TREATS and how to win ducks over" theres a huge list covered 2 months ago :) http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=568
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for finding this link I have emailed Jim and given him the link.
    Best wsihes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.