Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Coffee Time

Broody hen & duck on farmingfriends farm

(10 posts)

1. Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to let you know that Henny is still sitting on the guinea fowl eggs. I do hope they hatch. Due to hatch this weekend.
    Also I now have Duffy, one of the buff orpington ducks gone broody - she has been honking instead of quacking like Debbie's Jemima. I have left some eggs in the barn ans she is sitting today. Her boyfriend, Sonic the mallard is patrolling outside the hut - he is lost without her!
    Will keep you posted on the guinea fowl keet hatch - off to check on Henny now!
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

oh poor Sonic, won't she let him in?

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hi Sara,
    Hope things go OK with the guniea fowls eggs.

Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

Exciting times ahead Sara, hope they all hatch for you . Best wishes ,Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Hi all,
    Just been to check on Henny and one guinea fowl keet has hatched and is all fluffed up under her and unfortunately one chick was laid by her. I don't know if she put the keet out of the nest or not but mother hens know best!
    Fingers crossed for the other eggs. 8 more eggs to hatch.
    My nephew is thrilled and planning to visit very soon.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Ah thats a shame but they do seem to know best which is probably why when we help some they still perish after a few days.
    Here's hoping for the rest to be healthy.
    How is Buffy doing?

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Lorna

Hi Sara,
    Good news you have one guniea fowl keet.I hope all your others hatch soon too, it is nerve wracking waiting on them.
    Sorry one did not make it, that is so sad when it happens.

Take care
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Hi All,
    Well Henny got off the eggs on Sunday morning. So we only have one live guinea fowl keet. she is a very good mother, showing the keet where the food and water is. It is lovely to watch.
    Duffy the buff orpington duck is also still sitting on her eggs!
    Hope all well with everyone, sorry I have not been around this weekend.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Mama

Congrats on the little one Sara and do hope Duffy has more succcess. Good luck ,Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Hi All,
    Henny is a great mummy hen, she is keeping the keet well protected and the keet is growing and scuttling about. The wing feathers are developing nicely on the keet.
    Duffy is still sitting on her eggs, she gets off most mornings and has a wonder about with sonic the mallard and has a drink, preen, wash and eats something.
    Hope all well with everyone.
    kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.