Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Sheep

how to prevent sheep/lambs from getting maggots

(8 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by katiedyer
  • Latest reply from smallholder

1. katiedyer

recently the sheep at the farm have had really bad maggots we even lost one lamb. is there anything we can buy to put on them to prevent it? oh and does anyone have any good tips for getting rid of them. they are horrible!!!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Katie,
    Sorry to hear this.
    Clip/shear the sheep, dock their tails, or clipping out the dags of muck that attach to the sheeps/lambs tail as the flies and maggots tend to be on sheep with lots more muck.
    You can get some Spot on medication for the control of established blowfly strike on sheep and ticks and lice on lambs.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful but I don't have experience of sheep as we don't keep sheep.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. crovect is something you pour over the sheep to prevent maggots - you can get it from farm supply stores or vets. If sheep get maggots, an old fashioned remedy was diluted
    Jeyes Fluid - an eggcup-full in a gallon of water - applied with a pump-up spray.
    Sheep sometimes get maggots on their backs, & keep twitching as the maggots irritate them, so you can watch the sheep for tell-tale signs.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. katiedyer

thanks for your help we used jeyes fluid on the one that died but the lamb was too far gone thanks hough will try look for crovect

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. FarmerGirl

Hey katie,
    I keep over 100 sheep which lamb every year as well as a learge dairy heerd and i can recommend regular check ups on your flocks. You must clip to mucky hair from their bottoms and tails and they are various treatment you can use aas prevention. Also if you check them regularly you can remove the maggots as soon as they hatch.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Bit late I know but the best product I have found is called Spot-On. Available from farm supplies and your vet. 5 mls applied directly to the maggots will do the trick. Jeyes fluid is all very well but does not have a lasting effect and is as good as useless on a very bad case. May need antibiotics if maggots have eaten well into the flesh and it goes manky after you have cleared the maggots off. Like FarmerGirl says, keep 'em clean. Spot-On can also be used as a prevention from strike.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi Jacqui,
    Thanks for letting us know about Spot-on for sheep. It's good to know what people use with their sheep.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Another late reply, but with the new season fast-approaching, may be helpful! There are 2 main types of product that are used to protect sheep from flystrike (ie. when flies lay their eggs on sheep, usually around the rear end, especially if a bit mucky - the eggs hatch into maggots and then start burrowing into the sheep's flesh - very nasty, and can kill a sheep). Perhaps the most useful product is called an IGR - Insect Growth Regulator - basically it prevents the eggs developing into maggots. The most popular product available is called CLIK and it persists for up to 16 weeks, so if applied after shearing in May it should give a full season's protection. You will need to purchase a special 'pour-on' gun to apply the liquid: from the neck to the tail, and in an arc around the tail. There are other types of 'pour-on' product that are insecticidal, and persist for varying periods of time (read instructions carefully). SPOT ON is very useful on an established case of fly strike, it will kill active maggots instantly, and will help skin heal.
    Whatever product you use, it is still vital to check all sheep at least once a day.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.