Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Animal Ailments & Illnesses Advice Centre

Erin KC duck with bald patches

(4 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Lorna
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. Lorna

Hi All,
    I have noticed that Erin has got bald patches as if she was plucked on one side of her body. I have put sudocream on it and she seems to get it off in no time. The others are OK and I checked her over and I can see no mites or anything on her. I think that it is maybe just a habit she has picked up or possibly stress related, she is quite a bossy wee duck though. I was thinking in trying someting like Aloe Vera, would it help as it is supposed to have healing qualities? or anti peck stuff?. She is fine in herself eating and everything. She is 1 yr old I would say and has been laying very steady.
    The skin just looks a little bit raw. Biggles the wee drake hunts Jonathan about and has a chase at the big girls too,although they can get away easily, it is funny, that what I think has maybe stressed her a bit. I only noticed it a few days ago
    Regards
    Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Lorna,
    I wonder whether any of the other ducks have been pulling at the feathers.
    I remember Sarah mentioned using aloe vera in another post http://farmingfriends.com/forums/topic.php?id=841#post-5546
    Hope Erin gets better soon.
    Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hi Sara,
    I saw her today pulling/pecking at the area and one of the other KC, just the once, thanks for the link I will try the aloe vera and see.

Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, yes i often resort to aloe leaf as it is antiseptic, very soothing and forms a protective barrier too. It also tastes very bitter so if anyone is nibbling her they will soon stop.

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.