Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

premature gosling

(29 posts)

1. jules

hello i hope u can help some dummy heard one of our goose eggs chirping and thought he couldnt get out so chipped egg and peeled it and sac it was bloody thought it was normal so now i have a little guy that is still breathing under a towel and heat lamp born 2 hours aGO CHIRPING ALITTLE BUT NOT TRYING TO MOVE AROUND

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Jules, the gosling will be very tired and possibly in shock. The best thing would be to give it a little sugar water on it's beak and keep it warm as you are doing . I guess you have incubated them ? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. jules

YES I HAVE IT UNDER A HEAT LAMP BUT HE LOOKS FUNNY NECK IS TURNED TO HIS CHEST SHOULD I PUT SUGAR WATER IN BEAK W SYRINGE

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Mama

Yes just a drop at a time ,it will be to weak to support its neck at the moment . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. jules

THANK U SO MUCH I AM HERE ALONE W POOR GUY AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO HANDLE THIS BEFORE DO U THINK MAMA GOOSE WILL ACCEPT IT IF I PUT IT IN NEST

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Mama

Has mama goose got eggs under her ,is this where the egg from ?

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. jules

SHE HAS ONE AND YES SOMEONE HEARD IT CHIRPING AND THOUGHT SOMETHING WAS WRONG MAMA GOOSE IS MEAN I AM GOING TO HAVE TO SNEAK IT IN SHE ALSO HATCHED A EGG LAST NIGHT

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. Mama

Wait until the gosling has had a little more water and put it back just before nightfall if you can . You will have to slide it under her body which is going to difficult if she is mean . Perhaps someone could help you by offering some food to mama whilst you put the gosling back .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. jules

i have a dumb question will hrer or the dad hurt it and i was reading some post about putting him in chicken nest we have lots of chickens

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Mama

It is possible but if the other gosling is ok in the nest then this one should be . You can't do that even if you have a hen with chicks she probably would reject it or kill it .The goslings best chance is with mama unless you can raise it yourself . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. jules

well i will try to get him back in but i have one more question or 2 i just picked him up and he was not happy didnt want to open beak for water but i noticed a thing on his belly looks like a newborn human babies umbilical cord and is bleeding a little any idea and will momma accept him

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. Mama

That is normal and it will shrink in time ,don't touch it as you don't want to pass on any infection. Can't say definately that mama will accept it but as I said you really only have one of two choices . It may not make either way . Good luck ,Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. campbell ridge
    Administrator

The thing on his belly is where he was attached to the shell - called the yolk sac. It gets absorbed into the body. As he was prematurely removed from the egg he will still have this for a day or so. Do not touch it as it can get infected and will be tender.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. jules

ok thank u so much and i just give him sugar water i have baby chick food but doesnt want to open beak for sugar water so i know he wont eat i am sure

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. Mama

The gosling doesn't need food yet as it is still absorbing the yolk sac. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. jules

thank u so much sorry to ask basic questions but like i said i have not been around animals and of course this would happen when the owners r gone

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. Mama

No question is basic Jules and sorry to hear the owners are not around to help. Just persevere with a few drops of water and fingers crossed it will be ok. how many eggs does mama goose have under her still?

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  18. jules

1 had hatched one i am worried this goose neck is not stable and he is only drinking when i tap his beak gently of course i know there is a good chance he wont make it but i want him to be comfortable he just lays flat maybe i should take a pic is there somewhere to post so u could see

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. Mama

It sounds exactly like a little gosling I had to help last year. Couldn't stand or support its neck and falling over backwards. I had her in a box with a cuddly toy and propped her up against it .Also fed drops of water as you are doing by tapping it's beak . It was a good 24hrs before it could stand properly but still very wobbly at which time I had fed it some wet chick crumb. Hope this helps .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  20. jules

it sure does so i just joined this sight out of desperation can anyone post a pic would love for u to see the cute little guy maybe he wont chase me like his mom and dad when i go out to feed

Posted 6 years ago #
  21. Mama

Sara admin will send you a code when she comes on which will enable you to send pics .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  22. Jules if you are on facebook farming friends has a page you could post photos there while waiting for the code from Sara, hope the little one makes it, Mama is giving you excellent advice and has kept ducks chickens and geese for many years so knows what she's talking about

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  23. jules

yes she has been so helpful and it hasd helped me remain calm i feel so bad for the little guy

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. Jules is there still more eggs to hatch yet

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  25. Hi Jules,
    Hope your gosling is ok. Mama is giving exceleent advice. I have sent you an email about adding photos to the forum.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. jules

sara do i have to be added on ur facebook to post on ur group

Posted 6 years ago #
  27. jules you can join the group on facebook or just add photos here following saras instructions in the email this is the right farming friends on fb
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=44523236595

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  28. ahh had it pointed out that this link dosnt work lol sorry

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  29. Mama

Hi Jules, how is the gosling doing ? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.