Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

Worming piglets.

(4 posts)

1. Chill

A good friend of mine is a novice pig keeper, she has has the coolest Curly Coated Mangalitza Pigs. As she has a few health problems I help her out regularly with all her animals, I love being around them!

Anyway, we have a georgous litter of piglets who need worming. We have the injections all ready. My friend called me today and asked me if I could do it for her. Having worked with vets and having a few animals at home I have quite a bit of experience in injecting subcutaious and intramuscular in many animals small and large but not injected pigs..... yet!!!

Just looking for any tips really? I know what to do, but knowing these piglets I'm expecting some fun and games!!!!

Animals make me feel better! They always make me smile!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Chill,
    I would try to get them into a pen away from mother so that if they squeal the sow doesn't get too stressed and agressive. If it is possible to get someone to hold them by a leg then they won't squeal so much or move about making it easier to inject. I find it's always better to have two of you. One to hold the piglets and one to inject!
    I kept saddlebacks and had saddleback piglets. In the end we stopped injecting and just gave the piglets a carpet of grass and soil as there is iron in the soil.
    Hope the injecting goes ok.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Chill

Thanks for this... wish me luck!!! I'm guessing it will be noisy however we do it!!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Chill

All was a doddle... must easier than I thought!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.