Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Farming

road tax

(2 posts)

  1. markp

    I really hope someone can offer some advise.
    I have a small plot of land less than half a mile from where I live, I have been using the car for the last few years to take things to and from home, over this time it has ruined the body work / supension and interior. So I decided to buy a quad bike. It has a limited use v5. I have tried to tax it as limited use and the DVLA are causing me headaches!!
    I have been told I need a farm and not a smallholding and that it must be my main business and that I make money from it! Surely there are lots of people in my position where you need to work full time and the smallholding is a extra part of their life.
    It will be used for agricultural / horticultural use, not travelling more than 1.5km
    I have email the DVLA and the reply was that it is down to the local office, does this mean that if I went to 10 local offices I could, in theaory get 10 different responses / definitions?
    The internet is not getting me anywhere and I'm not sure what to do now.
    Please HELP

    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Mark,
    I live on a farm, but we don't have a quad bike although we have been thinking about getting one. I see on the gov website that quad bikes that go on the road have to be a certain type but they don't seem to give much info about taxing quad bikes.
    I have googled road tax for quad bikes but the searches were not helpful. It looks like quad bikes are taxed like cars and not like motor bikes.
    I see here about the limited use used solely for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry
    As you know it says "is used only for the purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry." It looks like you need to gather some evidence to show it's only used in this way and not just for getting to the smallholding. Is your smallholding big enough for you to have to use the quad bike to drive across your land?
    Can I ask if you keep pigs, the reason I am asking is that you need a County Parish Holding number (CPH) which you get from your local animal health office. I was just thinking if you had this it proves you are in agriculture!
    Hope you get this sorted. sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

    Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic


You must log in to post.