Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Quail eggs soon to hatch... help please

(7 posts)

Tags:

1. RPun

Hi,
    As previously said, my quail is sitting on her nest. Well, I have now worked out that the eggs are due to hatch on the 10th!!
    Well, she is in an aviary- sectioned off. Her nest is in the bed area, which is enclosed, and she can get outside. My question is will the chicks need to be put in a brooder/ warm area? If so, will the mum need to be in there with them?
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks! from Jane

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Hi Jane,
    i would leave them with mum unless she loses interest in them or becomes aggressive. It will be interesting to see how she is as a mum. My broody hen hatched a guinea fowl keet and is a great mum. The guinea fowl will think its a hen!!!
    So I would just wait until they start to hatch and see how she reacts. you may want to be prepared to set up a brooder if you have to, if you have to take them from her then they will need a heat lamp and a non slip floor!
    Fingers crossed for Friday!
    Kindr egards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Mama

Good luck Jane, do hope all goes well. Will be lovely to see some new born Quail chicks in a natural enviroment .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. RPun

Hi
    Thanks for the replies. I am so excited and nervous- am already checking every few hours!
    I just want to make sure everything is perfect, as I don't want it to be my fault if anything goes wrong... But hopefully it'll all be fine (fingers crossed), and she has been a great mum so far...
    Ooh, I can't wait!! :-D
    Thanks again, from Jane

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. RPun

Hi everyone!
    Today's the day (hopefully)!
    Here it is drizzling/ raining and quite cold around 14 degrees C. I have a brooder set up, is it too cold for mum to keep the babies warm? Will it be too cold tonight? Should I take them out when they are just hatched and put them in the brooder, and when they are fluffed up, should I put them back in with her?
    Nothing hatched as of yet, but I check every hour or so!!
    Thanks from Jane

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Hi Jane,
    I would let the chicks stay with mum they will not come out from under her till they are fluffed up and then won't come out from under her unless she lets them know it is safe to do so. she will keep them toasty warm in her feathers!
    Only take them to the brooder if she discards them or ignores them or is agressive with them. They will be best with mum. my guinea fowl keet who is with Henny the broody hen is doing well. I can't believe how they don't need a heat lamp but who would with the feathers of Henny to snuggle into!
    Good luck with the hatch. Can't wait to hear about a live and natural quail hatch.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. RPun

Hi Sara,
    Okay, will do, thanks! No hatches as of yet. I haven't candled them so I don't even know if they will hatch, but I didn't want to disturb her... They are just so small it's hard to believe that they will be warm enough...
    Ooh, so excited!
    Thanks for all your help :-D
    I will take pictures if/ when they hatch!!
    from Jane

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.