Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

broody chicken

(8 posts)

1. tracyd

hi everyone, my broody pekin has sat on 5 duck eggs, unfortunately we only ended up with 1 duckling. i have ordered 6 more eggs for a second go, will the same chicken sit on another batch of eggs straight away? i also have a couple more gone broody, if i let them sit on the eggs will they also look after the duckling which is only 4 days old? thanks in advance for any advice. x

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Tracy,
    I would keep the duckl;ing with your broody hen if she is willing to look after the duckling and give her a rest and chance to recharge her batteries she may not want to sit again until next year. I would let one of the others sit on the next batch of eggs.
    Sitting on eggs and hatching them out takes alot out of the hen so she will need time to rebuild her strength.
    Good luck with the next set of eggs. kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfrieneds

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. hello may sound a real silly question but why keep buying duck eggs then expect chickens to sit on them why not buy some ducks who will know better how to look after the ducklings and the eggs themselves, or get an electric incubator

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi Tracey, No another hen will not look after the duckling even if they hatch some eggs.It would be very unfair to put eggs under the broody that was, again.As Sara says it takes a lot out of them and they need to rest .Mo might have the answer ,at least then you could just leave mummy duck to do her job .You already know the difficulties hatching duck eggs under a hen,it would be a shame to experience the same amount of losses. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. quacking minx

my friends always use hens for there pekin duck eggs as there ducks can't be bothered doing it, they all have a great hatch rate , if it wasn't for the good little hens they wouldn't get any ducklings

plus I wouldn't have my 4 little duckies if it wasn't for a broody hen I think the hen way is the best way if your duck isn't interested

good luck how many hens are broody? I only have ducks at the min but I want chickens also

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Mama

Hens make great broodys for all sorts of other birds . The only thing that worries me is if they are waterfowl.Have done it with duck eggs and learned a few things . You have to mist or spray eggs when the hen is off the nest and also when the ducklings hatch the hen is totally confused. She doesn't speak duck and they don't speak chook and after seeing all that I decided not to do it again as my hen was in such a state.If you can take the ducklings away and look after them then no problems ,I couldn't and didn't . Hope this is helpful . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. quacking minx

ahhh yes my duckies were taken away straight away I got them a few hours old

so maybe thats why my friend did it 2 save the hen any distress I'm not sure :)

I just know my other friends always use hens as they say its the best way (for them) as there ducks don't bother but his hens do it no prob and seem ok but they all live together so I don't know :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. tracyd

have another broody hen, she is now sitting on the dummy eggs ready for the duck eggs tomorrow, so fingers crossed. x thanks for all the advice again, it certainly helps to speak to people in the same boat

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.