Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

(13 posts)

1. kaitlinh

Hi Farming friends, I would just like to introdue mself as I am new to the forum and also to farming (well very small farming) I live on the edge of Sheffield with my Husband and two teenage boys and my 12 year old Miniture Schnauzer called Bilbo.
    A month a go I bought 3 wonderful Indian Runer ducks, Tiger Lilly (white 1 yr old), Mariella (White 1 yr old) and little Ottie she is black and six weeks old.
    They seem to have settled in very nicely, they live in a large pen with a safe house at night but I let them have free range of the garden as much as possible, although only when I am around as I am a bit concerned about predaters.They love it, especially rummaging around for snails and stuff, they have already managed to eat two frogs.
    Any way as I am a novive I hope all you experienced duck owners out there will be able to give me lots of advice about keeping my lovely girls happy
    Thank you
    Kaitlin

Kaitlin x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  2. RPun

Hi Kaitlin,
    Welcome to farming friends! I don't have ducks but there are many extremely knowledgable people on here to help- they've helped me enough times! :-)
    From Jane

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. kaitlinh

Hi Jane,
    Thank you for your reply, much appreciated
    Kaitlin

Kaitlin x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Hi Kaitlin, I have 5 ducks all khaki campbells, I have recently split them into 2 groups, Fudge ( drake ) with Candy and Sugar girls and Treacle ( drake ) with Toffee my third girl, they are all 15 months old
    lots of members have ducks so if you want advice on anything just ask away

mo x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. kaitlinh

Thank you Mo,
    Mariella and Tiger Lilly started laying really well for a couple of weeks after we got them, I kept them confined to their pen for the first couple weeks to get used to their home but have since let them roam in the garden as much as possible. Since then their laying seems a bit sparodic and I havent had an egg for almost a week now, do you think a change in diet could be the reason. They have a plentiful supply of layers pellets but also rummage in the garden for snails and worms, they have also eaten two frogs.
    Is it usual to suddenly stop laying or am I doing something wrong, they seem really happy especially whilst out in the garden
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Kaitlin
    Ps Great duck names Mo

Kaitlin x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Kaitlin.
    I have, and have bred white campbells and at present have 2 drakes and 5 females (who also have to live in two seperate groups from April to september).
    There is normally one at least one of mine not laying and you will find it's because they are eating more bugs and less layers pellets. Also because they have much more space to roam around that more of their energy goes into the extra mileage and bug hunting and not into egg making. They can also go off lay when they are in moult, which can be any time of year.
    I'm sure they are are fine and will resume normal laying soon. The only 99% reliable laying ducks are khaki campbells who can lay 365 days a year.
    Regards, Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. kaitlinh

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the advice, They certainly seem to not have been as good since free roaming so what you say certainly makes a lot of sense. Its just really nice to see them rummageing around in the garden as they look really happy and if that means less eggs then thats ok I just wanted to check I wasn't doing anything wrong.
    Its really nice to have some great advice, as I am only just a begginner but loving every minute, I cant beleive how much pleasure they are giving us.
    Kaitlin

Kaitlin x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I know, we have all found owning ducks really takes over your life lol. We are all duck mad on this forum
    Even my email ad has a ducky ring to it and I am duckwoman on the rspb site too lol

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  9. lisamaslen

Hi kaitlin,
    Welcome to the site i am sure you will find all the advice and duck chat you need, I have 4 runners 4 chickens and 3 bantams, i bread 20 ducklings last year form hatching them in an incubator, as sarah said they do take over your life , i love it lol, i also have 2 cats and a nutty springer called Murfy whos 3,

lisa x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Lorna

Hello Kaithlin,
    Welcome to FF. The IR are lovely ducks to have.
    I have 2, a white one and a trout coloured one. I alos have call ducks and other large ducks.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. quacking minx

hi :) welcome :) I've 1 duck 8 ducklings 2 goats and a hedgehog everyone are lovely on here and give great advice

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. kaitlinh

Hi all,
    Thank you so much for all your messages, its great to know there are experts out there when I need them,
    Ps I got one egg this morning
    Thank you all
    Kaitlin x

Kaitlin x
    Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Hi Kaitlin,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum. I have 10 khaki campbells (2 drakes and 8 ducks) 1 runner drake, 2 buff orpingtons ducks (one is sitting on some eggs at the moment), 1 white campbell duck, 1 cayuga drake, a pair of magpie ducks/drake and 1 mallard drake and 1 mallard duck - does that make 19!
    I also have quail, guinea fowl, hens, cats and cattle!

Enjoy your egg!
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.