Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

quail bashing heads

(8 posts)

Tags:

1. quaglia

I am just about to acquire 4 quail. 3 hens and 1 cock. I am planning to keep them in a chicken-type run and coop but am concerned about them bashing their heads on the wire when they fly up startled. Are there solutions to this? Also, I already keep chickens - is there a possibility of putting them together further down the line? Are there particular feeders that suit quail?
    Thanks for all advice - needed and welcomed!

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. RPun

Hi,
    I have japanese quail and to be honest they seem very docile and don't fly up. Apparently they can jump/ fly up to 6 or 7 feet...
    I have got a circular chicken pellet feeder and this is very good for my quail, but I also have an aviary drinker and this doesn't work very well- they just kick the straw etc into it and it gets dirty and clogged.
    Sorry, I don't know about the chickens, but I think I have read in previous posts that some breeds of chicken are very aggressive, so not sure...
    from Jane

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. quaglia

Thank you for the info. Is a vertical water drinker an option for them do you think?
    My chicken are pretty easy-going but will bear the caution in mind!
    Thank you again

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Birdwood

Hi,

I've got a couple dozen quails in their own hutch. There was a fighting issue with the males, where one had his head so badly pecked that he lost all of his facial skin and feathers. After he healed I tried putting him and two hen quail in with my chickens, and they nearly got eaten. The chickens went at them insanely. So unless your hens aren't as bloodthirsty as mine, it may not work well keeping the two species together. I have large-fowl chickens, but bantams may coexist well with quail, being more size-similiar.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Hi quaglia,
    I would not put quail and hens together. I have read that quail can get poorly from living with hens and as has been mentioned I have found hens to be a more agressive breed towards other species of birds. my hens will square up to my ducks who are larger than them if the ducks get too close!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. quaglia

Thank you for all the advice - just to check with sara and birdwood - you haven't had trouble with the quail banging their heads on the roof of a hutch. i've been told that can happen when they are startled, move to a new place etc
    Thanks again!

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi quaglia,
    Yes I have, mine are in an aviary that I can stand up in and sometimes if they get spooked they will fly up. they don't like sudden movements and they don't like me wearing a red/pink/orange top, these colours seem to really spook them. You could put some soft material on the roof of the hut to stop them hurting their heads.

Mama has just let me know that I missed out the not in the above post, so it should have read. I would not keep quail and hens together. sorry about that, was typing too quickly and not proof reading!
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Eucybear

Hi
    I am new to the forum, but have had quails in the past which I have kept successfully with aviary birds, but I now have several breeds of hens in together (both bantam and large) and when any other type of bird comes into their territory they get very aggressive.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.