Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Broody Chicken

(38 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dollydylo
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

Tags:

1. dollydylo

Hi there
    We have a broody chicken, have managed to move her and her nest of eggs (which have been replaced with fertilized ones) into a new shed made specially for her to sit in. Yesterday she came out by herself and had about 45 mins frantic running around eating, drinking and dusting herself down. We have food and drink next to her inside the shed, and have sectioned off a piece of land for her.
    Today she hasn't budged as far as we can tell and we are concerned that we may need to lift her off the nest for a while. Would we be advised to do this, or wiser to leave her be
    Thanks!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

No leave her be Karen. She will come off when she is ready, which may not be for a couple of days. she probably needs to settle into her new home without fear of being moved on again.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Karen, leave her she will be fine promise. Used to that many years ago until I learn't . Never had a broody die of starvation or thirst she will do the biz and make life easier for you , worrywart !! Good luck and hope you will keep us informed. I love to hear about hatches, you wouldn't have guessed would you ? Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dollydylo

Thanks Sarah and Mama... what a relief. I've never been called a worrywart before but I'll take it as a compliment!!
    Will keep you up to date with any happenings. Thanks for the reassurance.
    Karen x

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Mama

Hi Karen, Of course it is a compliment . I think we are all worrywarts with our animals.We just want to do the right thing which is why we are all Farming friends .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. dollydylo

Hi there.. worrywart here again! Now, I have put food up to the chicken briefly a couple of times and she has happily scoffed some and also drunk a bit of water while still sitting on her nest (I know I know!!) But, she hasn't been out to relieve herself since Sunday afternoon.
    She isn't going to pop all over the eggs, or worse still internally poison herself is she? All views/advice gratefully recieved.. again.
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

No lovely she will not hens never do that ,but when she does poop it will be a stinky whopper so get down wind . Honest she will be ok worrywart .!!Some of us have been through it Karen and next time you too will be giving advice !!! :)) Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Thanks Mama.. although I'm not as bad as my husband. he has just been out and left a trail of sweetcorn to try and entice her outside! At least she knows we care!!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Hi Karen,
    i have experienced a broody hen for the first time this month in 7 years of keeping poultry! She will go and relieve herself as Mama says, just watch when she does if you are therte keep out of the way, everytime Henny went and pooped she would turn her back so we got the full force of the smell! My nephews couldn't believe it! You definately don't want to be down wind if she hasn't got off since Sunday it won't be pleasant!!!
    Best Wsihes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Mama

Aw, that's lovely have one here just like yours . Our boys call him St Francis !! all will go well and so looking forward to the big day . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. quacking minx

hehe ohhhh when daffy came out from nest we would say RUN RUN RUN fingers crossed she would make it to the grass or pond but ohhh my when it came out we couldn't walk past (6-9meter away) as the smell would knock you sick

usually she would do it right at the back door so we would use front till smell went then clean it away

but its worth it :D

1st time my fella smelt it ................ he was ill haha

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. dollydylo

SHE'S HAD A POO..... phew, what a relief. For both of us! And yes, it is huge. Fortunately she performed while I was out so the smell seems to have gone.
    Now she is back to the job in hand... sitting on some eggs!
    xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. quacking minx

there is always the next one to look forward too :D

if she does manage to catch ya, I bet you make sure you are out every time ha ha

glad she's got you to worry less now she has had her poop lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. dollydylo

Broody is still sitting and having the occasional break every one or two days..I just pop my head round the door each day to say hi and wave at her... am getting very excited!!!!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. Mama

Karen, does she wave back !! when is hatch date ? Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. dollydylo

Hi Mama.. she just gives me a quick wink, and then a look telling me to go away and leave her in peace!
    She has been sitting on the fertilized eggs for almost a week, so still early days. I feel like the hen has been sitting on them for months, so dread to think how she is feeling!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. dollydylo

Hi Mama.. I lied.. she has been sitting for two weeks not one. Doh! Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. campbell ridge
    Administrator

well that's good, only one more week to go!

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. dollydylo

We have a chick!!! Now, we haven't seen it yet as we have one very protective mummy hen, but we can hear it loud and clear. Very Very excited! Only one cheep we have heard so far, so we have everything crossed more hatching will take place overnight.
    xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. quacking minx

congrats hun yay can't wait to see pics :) mine is meeping still

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. Mama

Fab news Karen, can't wait to see and hear how many . Nature is so wonderful. Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. dollydylo

Nature is indeed wonderful. The only downside to having a broody hen instead of an incubator is that you can't see them hatching out etc but the whole natural process of it all is fab. Hopefully we will get a look at the chicks themselves tomorrow (will send hubby in with reinforced gloves!!).
    Fingers crossed that meeping one makes an appearance soon! xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. Awww congratulations!! :D

Natural Home-made Creams & Soaps. Based in the heart of the countryside <3
    http://kelebekskincare.wordpress.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. great news Karen and yes nature is wonderful, good to get some good news after alot of sad news posts lately x

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. dollydylo

Apparently my husband sneaked some silkie eggs under the broody (they wouldn't be my first choice of breed to hatch!) and we now have one yellow, one white and one black silkie chick! They look lovely and very happy with mum and there are still 4 eggs to hatch out.. fingers crossed.
    Oh, and I tried (again) to put photos I have posted on facebook but just can't do it! Any help will be gratefully recieved....
    Karen xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. quacking minx

awwwwwwwwwww yay for lil chicks x can you not direct link it? copy and paste the photo page?

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. Mama

Fab news , worry wart . Sara will tell you how to post pics here . Well done mummy hen and nice but naughty hubby .Look foward to yet more good news and pics .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. dollydylo

not sure if this will work but seem to have finally got the jpg link on from facebook on here and added the bits before and after. fingers crossed!!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. dollydylo

yehhhh it worked! Have been trying to do that all night. obviously using the wrong right click link.. doh! Well, let me officially introduce our first three chicks hatched by a broody instead of an incubator! Am sure my children will think of suitable names for them....

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. campbell ridge
    Administrator

they look very sweet! congratulations.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.