Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Partridge eggs

(14 posts)

1. Bijar

Hi we have 5 partridge in our backyard.the females have laid 25 eggs we had 1 more female but a cat ate it right after they made 25 eggs we had 10 eggs but they broke them so after that we started to collect them in a box in the garage. we have 25 right now we have been collecting them for 4 to 5 weeks. we have had the eggs for about 28 day we are collecting them cause we are afraid that they might break them again. please help us what should we do

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. quacking minx

are they pets or wild? are you collecting the eggs to hatch? you need to give a bit more info about what you want either baby birds or eating eggs :)

if you give more info someone will help you soon :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. quacking minx

eggs lose there fertillity every day after 2weeks so if you are trying to save baby it maybe too old (the eggs)

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Bijar

They are pets and we thought if we collected them they would hatch.so yes we are collecting them to hatch.we want baby birds not eating birds

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. quacking minx

you would need to incubate them then really

do you have an incubator that will fit them all? once you start incubation after 7 days or so candle them to see if any life is there

I'm not sure if the time scale in which your eggs have waited, is too long I guess all you could do is try them :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. pinkpoultry

Eggs need to be as fresh as possible, I know with duck eggs any egg over 14days old wont work as the embryo will have died, I assume (yes I know the saying!) that quails eggs will be dud after maybe 7 days with them being so much smaller? Also they have to be slightly moved each day before incubation to stop the embryo from sticking and having something like a twisted leg or flat head or something.
    I would only incubate eggs that are the freshest!

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. quacking minx

^^ yep I agree, I got some eggs given to me to try but I couldn't put them in straight away (it was ready 3 days later) I turned them everyday while they were waiting and also had them at a cool temp

they all seem ok I have 10 days till the hatch hopefully starts

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. pinkpoultry

Ooooooo exciting!! What are eggs do you have?? Im going to incubate EVERYTHING when I get back off holiday!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. campbell ridge
    Administrator

you can cook the partridge eggs that are over 1week old and incubate the others.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. quacking minx

the farmer said 'big ducks' :) two said call on them but I lost 1 to a blood ring the other is well kicking around, it is a lot smaller egg then the others :)

Do partridge lay eggs like pheasant? only in a certain time and not many? or are partridges good egg layers?

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. Bijar

So should I buy an incubator?
    What does candle them to see if there is still life in them mean?

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. Bijar

Each partridge lays 1egg every day .I get 2 eggs every day because I have 2 female partridge.I don't know how pheasant eggs look so I don't know if there similar .and yes partridges are good egg layers.each partridge usually lays 40 eggs in the summer.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. quacking minx

you hold a torch up to them in a cupped hand and look inside the egg look at the thread 'the eggs so far' I put pics of my eggs when candled

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. Mama

Hi Bijar , there are lots of how to candle egg pics on here . Sorry don't know how to send the links but Sara will .Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.