Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

gosling joining his family

(3 posts)

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered

Hi
    I just hatched a gosling yesterday in an incubator he is now fluffy, happy, eating & drinking in a nesting box with heat lamp. I decided to take the goose eggs away from the geese because one had been sitting for a very long time and was beginning to look ill, also she accidently stood on her last gosling and killed it. My question is how long should we keep the gosling indoors until we return it to its family ( 3 geese & a gosling) or is it likely they will not accept the gosling? We have also have a hen who has just hatched a chick- should we put the new gosling in there?
    hope someone has got some ideas!
    Kate

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. dollydylo

Hi Kate
    How exciting! I have no idea about baby goslings as I have only ever dealt with baby hens and ducks. With the hens, we kept them out of the elements of rain etc for 8 weeks before joining them with the older hens, but I can't advise any further. I am sure some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to help. Good luck!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Kate, difficult dilema and so sorry one died accidently. You will not be able to put the gosling back with the geese until it is old enough to fend for itself. You could try it with the hen and see how it goes and then return it to your geese at a later date . Guess mum is not broody now so that's a no go too . Good luck and look forward to hearing how the little does . Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.