Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Food And Cooking

lemon cake

(20 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by quacking minx
  • Latest reply from quacking minx

Tags:

1. quacking minx

got a lot of lemons oranges and limes to use (left over from my elderflower cordial and champagne) so I thought I'd make a citrus cake

I normally do lemon slices but I wanted a cake do you think I could just put it in a cake tin and do it that way? hummm or in sandwich tins and do a victoria sponge type

unless someone has a good lemon sponge recipe I could use otherwise I will use my sclice recipe (I will put a pic up of whatever I end up making)

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. love this
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4942/lemon-drizzle-cake
    made 2 yesterday

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lemon chicken always goes down well in my house and of course lemon meringue pie, but haven't tried meringue with duck eggs yet.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. quacking minx

cheers MO thats like the slices so I guess its ok to put in tin :)

sometimes I think the top can be a bit gritty I might do a lemon butter cream or icing hummm

ohhhhh I could do cupcakes with a blob of lemon curd in middle and butter cream on top

we got a good lemon cake from aldi the other day it had blobs of lemon curd in a layer in middle it was tasty with just icing sugar on top

I always bake with Daffy's eggs it makes the sponge creamy :) but I'm biast on duck eggs :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. quacking minx

oh sorry I havn't done meringue as there is not much whites so I do sponge or custard with them :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. lol the top is meant to be gritty you can use iceing sugar instead x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. quacking minx

yes lol I know but I am a little fussy :) I like it sometimes but other times it reminds me of that strange sugar stuff like sugar pigs, kendal mint cake, scotish tablet or maccaroons

but if its done good (thin) I like it

In the pic the edge of it made me think of the sugar stuff above hehe

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. quacking minx

I will deffo do that one above though just to try it :) and I will make another lemon type sponge :)

Mo is it a dense sponge or quite fluffy?

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. quacking minx

well that cake is cooling, I have 9 oranges 5 limes and 5 lemons what next :)

might chuck it all in a pot and do a mixed citrus marmalade, do you think that would work? I don't know how I have ended up with so many :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

Hiya
    Hugh Fernley whittinstall has a recipe for lemon curd muffins which are supposed to be very nice. I do an iced lemon cake and just mix lemon juice and sieved icing sugar for the icing.
    I've just made a bakewell tart and will be putting an apple and plum pudding in the oven soon.. must be one of those 'baking' days!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. quacking minx

hehe I just put come lemon cupcakes in I might fill them with marshmellow though :)

I think I'm going to do marmalade with the rest of the citrus fruit

yeh must be in the air :) (raining here haha)

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. quacking minx

Mo that cake is sooooooooooooooooooooo good I did it how it said and that topping is good it's not 2 thick like some

I did the same recipe but in cupcakes with a center of marshmellow cheers 4 that recipe it is a belter just wish I did 2 loafs grrr

gonna do marmalade tomorrow I think :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. glad you liked it its such a nice cake and a real family favourite here
    just found this it may be worth giving ago to
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3555/preserved-lemons

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  14. Melli

Mo if you find yourself at a loose end the best eggs to use for meringues are those over four days old......they are easier to beat than the freshest.
    It's all to do with changes in the eggs as they age. Can't quite remember all the science bit but if i find it again i'll put up a link :-)
    xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. lol thanks Melli but it wasn't me who can't make meringues it was quacking minx but sure she will be pleased to know that x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. quacking minx

:o I can make meringues lol I just said I don't make them with duck eggs as there is not much white lol

cheeky monkey :D

I've been given a comp 2 enter next year for all the stuff I make :D I'm gonna make sooooo much stuff in the next year to perfect my entry I'm soooooo excited :)

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. Melli

Sorry girls,it was Sarah who commented :-O
    Me being a minor geek was interested in the science angle!! xx

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. quacking minx

haha it's all good

my marmalade didn't set grrrr how annoying :@ but at least the cakes were good here is a pic of them

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. dollydylo

those loaves look very good!!!!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. quacking minx

they are , give em a go its so moist

I forgot to say the white is marshmellow in the muffins (the same lemon sponge) but white choc on top instead of iced sugar

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.