Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

question over argument with the kids about quail eggs

(7 posts)

1. jessico

Hi
    I am new to this site but i have read alot of the forums ... now my question is ..as daft as it may sound my son is convinced quail eggs grow I have told him they don't but its been an on going argument for 4 days now so I thought I would pluck up the curage to ask

thank you in advance to any replys

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Hi Jessico,
    Welcome to the farmingfriends forum.
    You pose an interesting question. Does your son think that the egg grows in size as the chick grows in the shell? Or that quail eggs gorw like a vegetable or fruit grows.
    Quail eggs do not grow. Generally a quail will lay the same size egg every time unless the quail hen is not well or sometimes the eggs can be smaller or mis-shapen when a quail hen starts laying eggs for the first time.
    An interesting fact to tell your son is that an individual quail will always have the smae markings on her egg every time she lays an egg!
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. sallie

Hi Jessico,

My quail always lay the same size eggs. Some are smaller than other hens some bigger. I did have a wonderful egg earlier this summer which was about the size of a broad bean, tiny little thing, but I think this was just an odd moment for that particular hen.

Keep meaning to check the markings on the eggs as Sara says to establish how many different hens I have laying!!!

Best wishes

Sallie.

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

My campbell ducks also lay eggs with slightly different markings. One is very faintly mottled, the other perfectly white. I just hope they get back to laying again soon as we miss their delicious flavour.

Sarah L
    Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Hi Sarah,
    I have noticed that I always get a really large duck egg and one abit smaller and then the other 4 are very similar. Some are pure white but the larger one is an off white colour. I would think that the same duck lays the same type of egg each day.
    A couple of my khaki campbell ducks are slightly smaller than the others and some have markings on their face and others don't!
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. quax

This is all v interesting about egg markings. We only get one egg a day, we think it is our Khaki Campbell as we think she is older than our 3 white ducks(poss. Aylesburys), they always look the same, started quite small and now are about the size of a medium chicken egg, they started slightly mottled but seem less mottled and more white. Tasty all the same!!
    Rachel

Rachel
    Posted 8 years ago #
  7. sallie

Hi Rachel,

My quail have just started laying and I am getting 6 normal sized eggs, 1 enormous (for a quail) egg and 1 littler egg. The large egg is banty sized so I think I need to look out for the quail with her eyes crossed for that one!!! Makes me whince just to think of it. All the markings appear different but I keep giving eggs away and forgetting to keep yesterdays to compare with todays. I quail produces a very strange coloured egg with a darker brown tip and a beige rest of the egg all covered in a chalky wash!!! So odd.

Sallie.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.