Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

duck laying frequency

(12 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by dollydylo
  • Latest reply from dollydylo

Tags:

1. dollydylo

Good morning all.
    We have four Khaki Campbell ducks,and regularly get 4 eggs a day, although recently that has gone to 3 eggs on occasion as at least one of the ducks is going into moult.
    Anyway, the last two days they have laid 5 eggs! There is no chance the eggs were hidden and we missed them from previous days as the eggs are always together in the same area of their house. Is this normal or is there a mystery duck flying in from somewhere and laying to confuse us!!
    Thanks.. Karen

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. hi Karen I can get 2 eggs a day from my khaki campbells especially if they miss a day out x
    they have more than one egg inside them at any one time so its not unusual x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. kaitlinh

Hi Karen,
    You lucky thing, would have been a compleat mystery to me too as I had no idea a duck could lay two eggs. I have 3 female runners, 2 of which are adults, they have both completely gone off laying and I dont think I have had one single egg in three weeks now. They run around the garden all day catching bugs and stuff and they still seem to be looseing feathers so hopefully they will start laying again soon, It would be great to get even one off each never mind two.
    Is there any thing I can do to get them to start laying or is it just a matter of time.
    Enjoy your extra egg
    x

Kaitlin x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol, well i had only ONE in the shed this morning - there could have been 4 but more often than not its only 2-3. Flipper is my only consistent layer and she is in her own house with Gordon. There are loads of feathers around atm, but we also put it down to them using the big pond and expending their energy walking back and forth and not eating so much layers.
    Mo, your ladies are supreme layers and sounds like Karen's are too! :)

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. pinkpoultry

My Magpie duck Pye hardly lays any eggs at all, she hasnt laid for around a month now and she isnt moulting, I hope she hurries up or my fella has his eye on her for the pot..."if she isnt being productive-eat it" :o( I love my Pye and I dont want to eat her, so Ive been fibbing to him saying "yes she is laying!!" :-/

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. my girls are doing what khakis should lol x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Laura, Magpie ducks will only lay up to 200 max per year. The khakis are the most reliable layers - as Mo has demonstrated.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. just putting mine to bed and think I may have hit on the difference in mine and yours Sarah, since the bad weather in winter when they spent more time in the shed I have been leaving them food and water in the shed over night, like yours mine hardly touch their food in the day time as like you say there's so much else to eat in the garden, but the second they go into the shed they eat their layers like they have starved all day, and given that it gets light so early and they are awake in the morning for several hours before been let out 7 to 7.30 am they will eat again, most mornings hardely anything is left in the bowls, so mine are getting their proper intake of their own food x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. campbell ridge
    Administrator

ah ok, I might try that. I guess being adult "drinkers" they mightn't make too much mess with the water. Flipper manages ok though and I can't give her water as she does somersaults in the morning, when she hears us coming to let them out!
    Thanks Mo, will let you know how it goes.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

Hiya
    Thanks for all the info.. am delighted we don't have a duck squatter popping in from time to time. Our ducks still eat lots of layers feeds... the ground has been quite dry recently, and although I wet part of it most days, they wouldn't be able to forage as much. Hope all the other ducks start laying too soon!!
    Had poached eggs for breakfast today... yum yum.
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. duskhunter

I am new to lady ducks and the egg laying bounty. Can anyone tell me more about when they moult and how long egg laying is interrupted for? Also at what age do they stop laying? and as I am expecting new babies soon and may have to re-home some at what age are they no longer good to eat? I would rather keep them till they are past that age to be sure that will not be their fate.

Also, as the ducks make such a mess with water at night is it okay to leave them without any till morning or should I get a special water drinker? I have a feeling unless it is really heavy they will tip it over as they do everything else. All our animals have access to water at all times it would seem it could cause health problems for them if deprived for any length of time.

What age have member's ducks lived till and have they had to have any special nurturing as they have aged?

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. dollydylo

Hi Duskhunter

My ducks moulted last winter, and it seemed to last for months! They will be 2 this year. I don't give my ducks or hens water at night time. They are locked away in their little with no access to either food or water and are fine with that.

Hope you get answers to your other queries!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.