Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

female chickens mating

(13 posts)

1. dollydylo

Hi everyone.
    A few months ago I asked about whether female ducks would mate with each other and was reassured that this is normal and they enjoy it.
    Now I have our chickens doing it too (we have no cockerals anymore) and have wondered if this is normal too. There seem to be two of them mainly that are taking over the cockeral's role. One of the hens is quite young (only just coming to laying age), but the other is over a year old and has never acted like this before. The older hen also has large clumps of feathers missing - from her tummy and all around her sides and back, a bit like a belt if you know what I mean. Could be moulting but not sure.
    Can anyone reassure and/or advise?
    thanks
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Mama

Never seen this behaviour Karen,are they actually mounting each other? or just throwing their weight about .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Hi Mama.. they are mounting each other!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Mama

How strange, look at this article you learn something everyday. Read the one on ovaries and hormones ,interesting .Mama

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388279

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. dollydylo

Hi Mama
    I had heard before about the top hen taking over Cockeral characteristics such as the feathers etc but not of mounting. That is very interesting about the ovaries - particularly as the older hen is the one that was egg bound recently, and layed an egg surrounded in dark red membranes when I seperated her into the garage. It all makes sense doesn't it when you read about the male hormones etc after damage or illness etc.
    Thanks for that! Oh, and the chicken underneath does seem to enjoy it, as it shudders when the other one gets off!!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Mama

LOL Karen,I always thought the shudderd in disgust .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. dollydylo

lol... I've heard the longer they shudder the better he performed!!!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Mama

LMHO, Mine always seemed to look in disgust at what had just happened . They were ladies though .Too much info I think ,we are talking about CHICKENS !! :)) Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. dollydylo

I hope you aren't implying that my hens are tarts!!!! And on that note....

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

Morning all.. more advice needed please!! The chicken above (got egg bound, layed a large blood membrane covered egg, now mounts chickens!) is laying soft shelled eggs which obviously break when the other hens climb in to lay. Any ideas what we can do about this as it is obviously making the nests dirty and the other hens used to eating eggs, as they polish it off if I'm not in there fast enough...
    Many thanks
    Karen x

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Mama

Oh crumbs Karen ,not good and yes if they get the taste for eggs soft shelled or not they will be difficult to stop. Can you seperate her for a while ,can't think of anything else .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. dollydylo

Hi Mama..
    We can def seperate her for a while and had been thinking of that, but she had a few days of either not laying or slightly firmer shells and/or us getting out there in time. Got there this morning just as our 'queen' accidently squashed it, so actually don't think they are breaking it on purpose.
    I am concerned on how to get her eggs with firmer shells as we have grit, layers pellets etc to hand and can't think of anything else other than crushed roasted egg shells!
    thanks Karen x

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Mama

Can't think of anything thing else apart from the roasted shell either Karen. You are doing all the right things. She may just get over it in time ,hope so .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.