Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Aggressive cockerall

(53 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Wolfyhybrid
  • Latest reply from duskhunter

1. Wolfyhybrid

Hi bird loving people. Can anyone give me some advice. i purchased 5 cream crested legbar hens at 3 month of age and a five month old cockeral of the same breed. i was told the cockeral would look protect the hens and he protcts them very well. however almost 3 months have passed and the cockeral has become extremly aggressive towards me and also trying to mate aggressively with the hens that i consider are still chicks. i let them out to free range but the cockeral will chase me around the garden and jumping waist height. i need help, do i seperate him from the chicks and how do i stop his arression towards me. Look forward to hearing from you, Rob

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi Rob, there is only one answer for you and him. If he goes for you grab him round the neck and don't let go.Look him in the eye and tell him YOU are the boss and give him a short slap or a shout . Don't turn your back on him as that is submission. He will mate but that is the norm and the hens are no longer chicks but he can do damage to the hens . If you see wounds on the hens it may be best to seperate to give them a rest from him . Hope you can sort him out . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Wolfyhybrid

Thanks, Mama. but you have left my thoughts in limbo. i cannot picture myself standing there holding this huge bird around the neck, but i can picture his claws flying around like windmills. i will keep an eye on the situation with the hens while i pluck up the courage to win him over

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

No Rob, you are bigger than him ,I am 4ft something and have dealt with big bad cockerels . Try it and see , he will back down I promise you he will not raise his claws as he will be subdued . When you grab him lower his neck to the floor and just shout at him,hold him for a few mins and then let go ,he will or should back off. Do it until he no longer shows signs of aggression towards you .Talk to him whenever you go in the run and he will learn you are the boss. Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Rob,
    Mama has a great deal of experience with hens, geese and feisty cockerals so I would give what she suggests a try. You can always wear long sleeves and some leather gloves.
    Their world is dictated by dominance so you have to show him YOU are head honcho.
    Good luck.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. pinkpoultry

Listen to Mama, you really really need to nip this in the bud now, or it will only get worse, at the moment he is your boss and you are a threat so he is trying to get rid of you, he must be taught you are his boss. I had to do this with my rooster and then he was fine with me, lovely lad he was. You should never be afraid of him.
    Good luck

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. dollydylo

Hi Rob

I have had a couple of fiesty cockerals before and I must admit that the minute we showed any sign of fear they seemed to get worse.
    The first one was rehomed as he was so aggressive with the hens they started dying from peritinitus, and the vet rightly said he could be the cause of this.
    The last one was found another home as despite me spraying him with the water hose each time he went for me (which did get him under control somewhat), my children were still scared of him which of course wasn't nice for them.

Good luck with 'sorting him out'. I do think that if you are able to do it, Mama's approach makes sense!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. Wolfyhybrid

Thanks for all the advice. i have just got home from work so will confront the beast this evening. I can hear him cock-a-doodle-dooooing already, i think he`s waiting for me!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Mama

Rob ,it is scarey at first I know. There was a time when I was so afraid but decided not to let it continue bearing in mind he reached my knees . You could start going in with a long stick and just make him back of which he will do and that may even sort him . Love the sound of them crowing and miss it . Good luck and be brave . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

I love the sound of them crowing aswell... although not at 5am as that used to wake my son up too!!!!

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Wolfyhybrid

I think it may have been a draw. First he would not let me in the pen but i pushed my way in. Then came the clawing at my legs so I stamped my feet which made him back off a few inches. Then he bowed his head and raised all his neck feathers thats when i saw my chance and went for the grab of the neck, because of his stance it had to be the back of the neck, A slight misjudgement caused me to half grab and half punch him on top of his head! I released him after only a few secounds to a whale of noise which made all the hens dive into the hen house followed by the rooster, and thats it, I walked around the pen but he wouldnt come out again. Although i must add that I did not go into the hen house after him. Tomorrow I will enter the arena again with a little more confidence.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. Lorna

Hi Rob,

Hope all works out with the rooster, well done for giving it a go, seems you will need to go for round 2 lol.
    This problem is not funny that you have but the way mama explained things and the other replies, it all sounds so comical.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. Mama

Go for it Rob ,hens will be perturbed but they are not they are not problem. Well done and you will win ,however many times it takes he is already learning. Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. dollydylo

Well done Rob... you are a brave man! Am delighted you made your first stand against the cockeral and hope you soon have him knowing who is boss. I imagine the whole experience has made you more positive for the next attempt.
    Keep us updated!
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. pinkpoultry

1 point to Rob, 0 points to rooster.... :oD

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. quacking minx

great hopefully he will carm after a few more, it's awfull to have to put a male in place (I had to with my goats lol) but its so worth it in the end :)

got to be cruel to be kind :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Good on you Rob, next time he may not be so bold!
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. Wolfyhybrid

Something happened. tonight I approched the chicken pen expecting the usual aggression from the beast but he moved away from the gate and allowed me in without a fuss. At one point I thought he was about to attack so stood my ground and he backed off. He`s not cock-a-doodle-dooooing so much tonight. I filled their water troff and left the gate open for them to roam around the garden. eveything was so much calmer. Im not sure if i have won him over completely but very greatful to you all for the support.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. Mama

Well done for overcoming the fear and it's not a small achievment ,so pleased he is settling down . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. Wolfyhybrid

Hi, Mama. It was a clumsy attempt to grab him the night before but it has had an affect. Tonight was the first time he did not attack when he had been doing it for the last four weeks. Im not sure if I have broken him but I am already much more happy with his attidue because I do actualy like the guy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. dollydylo

That is great news! I am delighted he is calming down and hope that it continues. Well done you... a much braver person than I would have been!!

Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. Rhondanar

Well done Wolf.. ive not got ducks, but have enjoyed watching for your posts over the aggressive cockrel... sounds as if your winning the battle.. lol

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Looks like your stance worked. Keep up the good work and enjoy them now.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. Wolfyhybrid

He is back and as aggressive as ever. i have to go through it again and this time i WILL teach him who is boss. I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, tonight that rooster will bow down to me!

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. pinkpoultry

Oh dear, he is just trying his luck, keep up with your dominant role and you will be top chicken soon.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. campbell ridge
    Administrator

lol don't forget they are a bit stupid Rob, he has forgotten, so you will need to keep making your stand til he eventually gets it.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. Mama

LOL Rob really . Well you have got what it takes and he will learn very soon . Good luck and do let us know how the battle ends . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. Rhondanar

laughing my socks off... the thought of the stand off in the pen... and the rumble in the jungle.. tee loving the posts

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. Wolfyhybrid

I got him good, Its been filmed and I will post the video on youtube tommorow and add a link here. He won the first few rounds tonight But the video will show that i won. also, hopely Mama will be able to tell me if I am doing the right thing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. dollydylo

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the video footage of this.
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.