Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Food And Cooking

PLUMS! MILLIONS OF PLUMS!

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pinkpoultry
  • Latest reply from pinkpoultry

1. pinkpoultry

Hello,
    There are zillions of plums EVERYWHERE! And I need help to invent recipes, Plum jam has been done. I have found one for "Plumbrillo" which is a smooth and you eat it with cheese, similar to Quince Jelly or Membrillo the Spanish stuff.
    But need more recipes to store these little guys!
    Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Sell them at your gate :)

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

I have a lovely plum madeira cake recipe (made with blitzed oats too) which freezes well. Think it is on the waitrose website. Or, you could also send a case or two over to Ireland for me.. I LOVE plums!! Karen

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

Plum Vodka ,Plum chutney and upside down cakes . They freeze well and bottle . Don't send me a case thankyou .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. dollydylo

Plum vodka.. yum! I'll have Mama's case aswell please... xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Mama

Now then Karen , you send the link to the cake and you never know a bottle of plum vodka may find it's way to you .LOL Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. dollydylo

the link to the cake as requested! I use coarsely blitzed porridge oats, sometimes forget the orange and have never iced it. Oh, and I mix it all as one and put all the plums in at the same time. Other than that I follow the recipe!

http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/p/plum_and_oatmeal_madeira_cake.html

happy baking, and I look forward to the plum vodka!! xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. Rhondanar

i used to preserve the plums in brandy, is stores for ages and is brill with ice cream.. sorry dont have a link for it

Rhonda x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. pinkpoultry

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this looks good, I shall post you some plums........dunno what they will be like when they get there! I have also spied next door have a pear tree and they arnt eating them!!! :oO so I am going to ask if I can have them! x

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

I had to go and buy myself some plums this morning after all this talk!!!
    xx

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Lorna

I grew up in a farmhouse and we had a plum tree as well, Mum would have made jam with them. There was also rhubarb and gooseberries too, I miss the fruit. I like to use bluberries for jam as the recipe is quite easy.

Lorna

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. pinkpoultry

I have a blueberry bush, Ive had it for 2 years and not had a single berry yet. I have rhubarb.......Hummm...I may try to make rhubarb and plum jam??

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. dollydylo

I grow rhubarb, have gooseberry and raspberry bushes I have never managed to get anything from, and can't grow any fruit trees because it is so windy where we are (right by the sea) that even the leaves struggle to stay on!!! We do have an abundance of wild blackberries that grow by us though. Rhubarb and plum jam sounds good... x

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. quacking minx

plum cobbler or the best one well my fav is Pflaumenkuchen (heres a link http://www.grouprecipes.com/106980/pflaumenkuchen.html ) it's one of our family fav's we all bake it (we are german so its tradition for us) all our plums are falling now (purple ones) our yellow ones are due soon and our damsons are starting to colour

apples and pears are getting big I'm just trying to fight the birds away (they took all my cherries)

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. pinkpoultry

My father in law has a battle each year against the black birds for his cherries, he has tried putting ribbons of tape all over the tree-doesnt work. Tried netting it, but its so big it doesnt work..Oh dear. Good luck trying to keep them away!
    I am going to try all these plum recipes...I have enough! It seems my trees this year decided to produce about double the amount of plums to last year but half the size?? Weird.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. pinkpoultry

Mmm that looks lovely...think I shall be using my plum jam though! :oD

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. quacking minx

yeh I bought some bigger nets for next year lol

our plum has so much fruit on a huge branch snapped :( goats loved it though :(

did you thin out your plums when growing? usually this is the case when you have so much fruit but small ones, we go around all our trees and thin them out so the fruit which is left on can get to its max size if there is too many the tree struggles to feed them all hence them being smaller :) we took away 3 bin bags of fruit away to get the others bigger , goats loved that also hehe the ducks eat the ones on the floor and the apples

I do know you should try to thin them out though :) (take the fruit which is in between other fruits so the surrounding fruit gets the space of the one you took away) it takes time but is well worth it when you crop huge tasty fruit and a lot of it :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. quacking minx

http://www.grouprecipes.com/123392/grannys-pflaumen-kuchen.html this one sounds good also I might give this one a go :D I love cinnamon :)

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. pinkpoultry

OH WOW! I totally didnt know that! DOH! too late now, but next year I shall do some thinning! Thanks for that! What great info!!!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. quacking minx

no prob :) you will really see a difference, we normally do all the marked ones and any really clustered bunches you end up with more fruit then if you don't thin them as the fruit is a lot bigger so you get more flesh and weight :)

we have real heavy rain today and the fruit trees are taking a battering :( the ducks are loving the fruit thats falling off though grrr I can't get to them before them as I am at work but I can see them through the window hehe cheeky monkeys only a hour to go till I can grab a few though hehe

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. pinkpoultry

My ducks are really uninterested in the plums, the turkeys only eat them if I hold the plums for them to eat but look at me like im stupid if I put them on the floor......oh silly birdies!!

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.