Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Geese toe nails!

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Fluffy5
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

Tags:

1. Fluffy5

Hello we have seven fantastic Embden geese who are all great little characters, big noisy hellos and love undoing shoelaces! They have their own "garden" and a nice shed to sleep in. They spend most of the day on grass, or in the pond, and the only hard ground is slabs under part of their house, which is my question really, some of their "toe-nails" are getting quite long and I don't want them to get caught or snag and hurt themselves. Should we be clipping them or will they just wear naturally? Does anyone have any advice that could help? Thank you very much!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Mama

Hi, I also have Embdens and they do have long toe nails. they can't scratch so guess that's why. Never heard of anyone cutting them and I wouldn't to be honest. They are obviously happy so I wouldn't worry. How old are your geese?You could ask a vet if it's neccessary.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pinkpoultry

Or maybe put some rougher ground down? Some rocks for them to clamber over, my ducks like clambering...silly birds.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Fluffy5

Thank you for the advice! Like you say they are happy and well so maybe don't fix something that isn't broken. We were looking to put some rougher ground around the pond which might help too. Thanks again for the comments!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. quacking minx

I know it's not geese but my Ducks claw the crap out of me if they manage to get me that is :)

when the vet was here one got me as I was getting hold of her (she got me good as she drew blood and all my chest was like I had a fight with about 10 cats lol but I survived :D I guess it's not just geese that have the sharpies hehe

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

There's a couple of different ways I can hold my ducks (once you catch them that is) without getting clawed.
    The harder ground will help wear their claws down, you shouldn't need to clip them unless they only have access to grass.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.