Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

duck Eggs

(10 posts)

1. Fluffy

Hello all hope every one is well? Ive been spending a lot of time in the garden with my ducks so havernt been on here to much latley as work and all been crazy
    . I have gone to let my ducks out this morning to find that Margo my mini silver appleyard has layed two eggs her first ever. However she is out and about with the other ducks and doesnt seem intrested in sitting on them any ideas or what should I do with the eggs. If she wont sit on them my next door neighbour has an incubater we could borrow. Any advice would.be brill. Thanks Emma

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. dollydylo

Hi Emma

If you don't want to eat the eggs and you just want to hatch then you could either wait a while to see if your duck gets broody or if not, just borrow the incubator - but still wait for a few more eggs first before starting them off.
    Karen

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Oh, I am assuming of course you have a drake that has fertilised them!!!

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Lorna

Hello Emma,

You could just use the eggs for eating unless you were wanting to have ducklings.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Fluffy

Thanks for the advice yes we have a drake margos partner jerry so they should be fertlized will wait a little while see what she does if shes lays anymore. Just want to see if she would raise or go broody befor we took the eggs for eating. Got excited then paniced as thought they had to b kept warm at all times but we shall see what happens will keep u posted. EM

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. Fluffy

Quick update there are 9 eggs now shes stil not sitting but we think shes moved them in to a pile and started covering them or so we think so we are going to leave her till weekend see what she does then if not try to incubate them maybe. Emma

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Hi Emma,
    Sounds promising, like she is thinking about sitting if she is moving them into a pile. Good luck.
    kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Emma, although it is very exciting, this is not a good time of year for incubating. Duck eggs need to incubate for 28 days then the ducklings are not mature til 12 weeks old. However they will be fully feathered by 8 weeks so that is at least 3 months, which takes you into December. If the mother duck sits on them they would stand a better chance but it would be far better to wait til next spring when the weather is better for ducklings.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. dollydylo

Hi Emma
    Our ducks cover the eggs to hide them from preditors, but not before they get broody.
    We had one that was broody a couple of months back, and she built what I would describe as a birds nest, but with higher edges and laid her eggs in the middle for all to see. I think there are pictures somewhere on a previous discussion.
    Karen x

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. Fluffy

Thanks for all the advice guys. margos now got 13 eggs in the duck house and so far not sitting on any of them so may call it a day and remove them. New to the duck keeping and first time we had any eggs after having the ducks since about may time. Just wanted advice as didnt want to remove the eggs and upset margo. Thanks again Em

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.