Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

Piglet, Runt

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by TUI TEWHAITI
  • Latest reply from admin

1. TUI TEWHAITI

Have runt piglet been feeding him powered milk now he has runny poos.Can you please tell me how to stop this.
    Thank you Tui

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Hi TUI,
    It sounds like the piglet has scours. The piglet may have been guzzling the milk too quickly or a quick change in their diet will upset their stomaches and give them scours.
    I would also give the piglet a piece of turf with grass and soil and the piglet will root through this and get iron that will help prevent scours from occurring. Make sure the piglet has fresh water to drink as well.

When the piglet is 7/8lbs try to move the piglet onto solid milk feed (creep feed) as this will avoid overfeeding and getting the scouring illness. I would introduce the creep feed a little at a time as a sudden change in a pigs diet can lead to scours.
    Once the piglet is on dry food it will then need fresh water although I have been recommended to have water available for hand reared piglets at all time which is advice I have always followed.
    If the piglet is still very young, I would try to make the piglet as independent as possible so I would possibly start with the bottle feeding and then see if the piglet will take some of the milk from a bowl. They learn quickly to do this.
    When they are old enough to be on creep feed, if you are still giving them milk, I would also have creep fede available for the runt.
    I would also give the piglet a piece of turf with grass and soil and the piglet will root through this and get iron that will help prevent scours from occurring.

Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.