Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

pregnant sow?

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mrstringbean
  • Latest reply from mrstringbean

1. mrstringbean

hello everybody.
    i have a lovely Gloucester Old Spot sow called Flora. She is about 3 years old. She spent six weeks with a boar and until yesturday I thought she was pregnant and due 20th October, but she seems to have come into heat, swollen vulva and a bit of discharge. She had lost quite a bit of weight when she was with the boar but quickly put it back on and I had thought some of this was pregnacy wieght but now I am not so sure. I have heard of some pigs continuing to come into heat through preganacy, is this common? Should I be thinking about returning her to the boar?
    Any help and advice is greatfully recieved.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Mrstringbean,
    Is it possible for you to wait until closer to her farrowing date so you can be certain she is not pregnant?
    Are you able to feel her stomach, will she allow this, if so you may be able to feel some of the piglets movements.
    Fingers crossed that she is pregnant.
    kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. mrstringbean

hi Sara,
    no problem in feeling her belly she is a very friendly pig. I have been feeling for any changes and tweeking her teets so she gets used to it before farrowing but as yet have felt no movement. She had a very strong musty smell today as well. I think we are going to monitor her closely and see happens in three weeks. I don't tink we'll use the boar again just in case she is preganant because we don't want to him to do any damage, but maybe AI?
    We are keeping everything crossed, but what will be will be!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Chill

Any piglets yet?

This happened to us with a Curly Coated Magalitza. She wasnt showing obvious signs until a few days before she farrowed! Then she had 7 great little healthy piglets!!!

Animals make me feel better! They always make me smile!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. bayvistafarm

Hi there. I am new.. but I used to raise pigs. At one time, we had 100 sows! If your sow is due in October, you should be able to tell if shes pregnant, by getting on your hands and knees, and looking between her back legs at her udder. IF there is a definite crease, then shes not in pig. If its flat then good chance shes pregnant.

The red swollen vulva thing and discharge isn't a good sign of her being pregnant tho. Good luck!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. turtledove

Hi,I am new here.My Petunia is sort of in the same way as your Flora. I will be down on my knees tomarrow..She loves a belly rub.I have had her since she was a week old.I read at the pig site that her vulva amd behind will swell;also that she will secrete a clear liquid prior to milk.Should I be concerned about her rolling over on the babies ????Does anyone have an idea about setting up for the babies;I have a metal rack from a bunk bed that I thought I would try to use????grunt-grunt turtledove

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Hi turtledove,
    have a look on the farmingfriends website in the pig category http://farmingfriends.com/category/pigs/ I kept two saddleback sows for a couple of years and they had 4 litters of piglets, so I have written abit about farrowing etc.

Here are some useful posts.
    http://farmingfriends.com/what-to-do-with-a-pregnant-sow-or-gilt-that-is-close-to-farrowing/
    http://farmingfriends.com/preparing-for-farrowing-pigs/
    http://farmingfriends.com/farrowing-crates-for-pigs/
    http://farmingfriends.com/signs-of-a-farrowing-sow-or-gilt/
    http://farmingfriends.com/aggression-in-farrowing-sows/

Hope Petunia will be ok, is it her first time?
    Keep us posted.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. turtledove

Hi everyone!Petunia is the lovely mother of ten baby pigs!!!I was hoping for some advise about the afterbirth..should i take it or leave it alone,/also does any body have any suggestions about keeping the babies safe the crate I had planned on using is too small...she seems to be doing well on her own..I would appreciate any suggestions...tickled pink.......turtledove

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Hi turtledove,
    congrats on the piglets, make sure the straw on the ground stays flat so that the piglets don't roll down the straw next to mum as she may roll on them by accident. If the straw is too deep the piglets can't seem to move away quickly.

Give them soem grass and soil which is good for iron intake.

Give them water.

Not sure about the afterbirth, don't remember what I did, which means don't remember seeing it or having to do anything with it, hmmm?!

Have you got a heat lamp hung abit away from mum so the piglets can move away to the heat and then they won't be so tempted to lay too close to mum.

Good luck and let us know how theya re getting on.

kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. turtledove

Thank You Sara,She is being a great mom..she pushes the hay around her like a circle...so far everyone ,even the runt, is doing well..I put a light in side a large dog crate and turned it on its' side ,leaving the tray out....the holes are big and they can come and go...I feel so very blessed..and I will watch the hay .Thanks again turtledove

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Mama

Turtledove, this has been so lovely to read .I don't have pigs but what a delight for you and Petunia two proud mums.Hope all goes well and please do keep us up to date ,just a wonderful story .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. mrstringbean

lovely to read about piglets doing well, must confess to being a little jealous. Sadly Flora was in pig but lost them all at some point, had to call out the vet who suspected that they had mumified inside, apparantly common in sheep. Flora seems none the worse, a course of antibiotics and she is happy in herself, although she has not yet come back in to season. I am thinking about getting a couple of weaners to fatten and to keep her company while she sorts herself out. Maybe the company would help bring her on? I have the option of taking her back to the boar but I think I would prefer to try AI as I not sure she dealt with the boar very well and seemed to get a bit stressed. Any suggestions?
    Well congratualtions to Petunia and Turtledove thrilled for you both!

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.