Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Poorly Goose

(14 posts)

Tags:

1. Wilhelmine

Hi hopefully someone can help. A couple of days ago a muscovy drake attacked one of my geese as he did this two more males went in as well. I didnt see it my hubby did. The goose went down and didnt get up! I have put her in a safe place next to young geese seperate but she can see and hear them. The problem is that she cant stand and waves her head about. I think she may have has a stroke! Hasnt drunk or eaten for two days now. Dont want to let her suffer, shes beautiful. HELP

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Wilhelmine, I am so sorry to hear this. Is it possible to get a vet to take a look at her. She may be suffering with shock. Can you give her some sugared water in a syringe to boost her energy. Also putting her under a heat lamp may also improve her so that she is not using energy to keep warm but to get better. I would give her mashed food and try to feed her yourself if she will let you.
    I hope that she will be ok.
    Best Wishes
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama

Really sorry to hear this, as Sara says try and get some fluids into her and food keep her warm and quite.She sounds in shock poor girl. Do hope she recovers ,best wishes Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dorsetduckowner

I would try and get her to the vet asap, especially as she isn't drinking.
    good luck. Poor baby
    x

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Wilhelmine

Hi everyone thanks for getting back to me. Have been giving sugar water today and given her some small grain best I could. The vets around here would think that I was gaga, I live in Spain! The temps are quite high here, probably 18 at night and during the day still roasting I have her inder a tree so she is not in the sun Shes not a gosling she is from last year. I have babies from her! Do you still advise a heat lamp?

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Wilhelmine

When you say mash, do you mean potaoes and fruit for eg. or broiler mash?

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

Know the feeling with vets ,same here with fowl. Yes i would give her broiler mash and anything else to tempt her back to eating and keep her warm . Do try the garlic in her water and acv if you have it as it does help.good luck to you and your girl .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. Wilhelmine

Hi everyone. My goose is still with us. Kept up the sugar water yesterday until late and started again early this morning. Made a mash and have been spooning that down followed by water to get her to swallow. She is starting to fight a bit when I feed her now so I hope that is a good sign? Mama, what is acv please? The waving of her neck upsets me, has anyone seen this before? I have taken her home and put her in the shower as where she was when she relaxes she rolls partly over and the ants would have a field day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Wilhelmine

Hi Sara, I read on the Forum that a member named Bill also lives in Spain. His last posting was a while ago. He has Pilgrim geese, although I have Emdens it would be good to hear from him.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Hi Wilhelmine,
    Glad your goose is making progress it sounds like she is doing well especially if she is starting to fight back! ACV is apple cider vinegar.
    I am not sure about the neck waving.
    Shall I email Bill and pass on your email address so that he can email you and I will ask him if I can give you his email address.
    Hope your goose continues to get better.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Wilhelmine

This is a thankyou to all of you for your help and advice.Sadly my goose got worse I was stressed and she was suffering. The deed was done. Farming friends really has so much to offer, you can never have enough information when it comes to taking care of creatures great and small.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Oh I'm so sorry your goose didn't get better, It was a very hard decision that is never easy to make.
    Thinking of you.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. Pastordot

So sorry to hear of your goose. It must have been so very hard for you seeing her like that, but it sounds as if you did the very best that you could for her.

Thinking of you,
    Dottie

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. Mama

So sorry Wilhelmine,you did your best until and including the end . Mama.

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.