Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

Can't get barley straw

(7 posts)

1. Lorna

Hello Farming Friends,

Has anyone had trouble getting barley staw bales? I have not got any yet and I am having to use shavings which is not what I prefer plus it is very costly. A local farmer gave me a little as he only works with large round bales.

I get the small ones, the usual farmer (not one above) who supplies it has still not cut the field, I am a bit worried I will maybe not get any. Also to bed the big ducks is getting hard as they really need straw as the house is bigger.
    I see so much straw in trailers going up past my house and I just wish I could ask them to leave me some.

Anyway, still hoping it will come soon.

Regards
    Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Why don't you put up a sign outside your gate asking for some? Or a notice in a local shop.
    We buy ours at our local farm supplies store, but I think it's wheat straw.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Lorna

Hi Sarah,

The farmer has just started this late afternoon cutting, he must have read this lol! and he has the combine in so at last the field is being cut. They leave it over to me and allow me to pay it over a few payments, that is why I prefer to get it from them.

Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. hi Lorna, I use barley straw but havnt tried buying any yet this autumn, through summer i have been using just wood shavings and find them a lot easier to clean and a lot less wastefull so good value really, hope you get some soon x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Lorna

Hi Mo,

I have 3 ducks houses and it is easier with the straw to manage them and it goes farther. Also I have the youngest ones in a place in another house by themsleves, I am going to keep them on the shavings only though. All in all I have 4 places to bed at the minute. Haven't got any yet hopefully it will be soon.

Lorna
    x

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Lorna, this chap is in Ballymoney and at present has hay bales, straw not yet in. He can deliver to you.
    http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1034254064/82be5e3d.html

I have been using shredded paper to eke out the straw - which I get free from a few local people. It's nice and absorbent and can go in the compost.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Lorna

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for finding the link, I will look and see if he has straw.

Love
    Lorna
    x

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.