Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Recipes

Spaghetti Squash!!!

(8 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by pinkpoultry
  • Latest reply from m40mo

1. pinkpoultry

Hello FF's,
    I like to grow vegetables. For a couple of years I have been trying to grow spaghetti squash (sometimes called vegetable spaghetti) and I have failed miserably, well, this year, 1 plant survived and it grew 1 squash fruit. I was so pleased, I looked at it every day to make sure it was ok. It grew rather large and I decided to pick it. I googled for ideas on what to do with it. Main thing to do is chop it in half and pop it in the oven and roast it for 45mins-1hr. Which is what we did. I was sceptical it was going to end up looking like spaghetti, but it did! So I made some carbonara sauce to go with it...WOW! Its better than actual pasta spaghetti, its sweet and very light, very lovely. I would DEFO recommend you guys to try growing it! It took me a while but it eventually grew-remember Im new to the whole growing thing!
    Cant buy them in shops so I only had 1 :o( need to wait until next year for some more! I would like to eat more now!

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Pastordot

Laura,

I love spaghetti squash! Too bad that you can't buy them where you are. They are very abundant here where I am in the USA in all of our supermarkets and farmstands this time of year.

You can cook them in the microwave too. Just cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, then place the half in a shallow bowl of water and cook it till it's nice and tender. Mmmmm!

You are right about it being sweet and very light. Much better than pasta, and probably much more healthy!

I love it with a bit of butter and salt and pepper. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. First time i've heard of it, sounds lovely though!
    Any tips on how to grow it?

Natural Home-made Creams & Soaps. Based in the heart of the countryside <3
    http://kelebekskincare.wordpress.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. pinkpoultry

It grows just like courgettes & squashes, 1st time I tried I didnt get any flowers? So I bought some other seeds and they worked (must have had a duff pack!)
    Dottie your lucky to have them where you are, no one sells them here! I am going to go crazy growing them next year! Mmm spaghetti squash! x

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. i just had to come back to this post as i was thinking about the spaghetii squash! do you sow it at the same time you sow courgettes/squashes? thanks!x

Natural Home-made Creams & Soaps. Based in the heart of the countryside <3
    http://kelebekskincare.wordpress.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Pastordot

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine they would be sown at the same time as other squashes.

I can't wait for next Spring. Hopefully I will have a garden to plant. This year we have spent the whole summer ridding the yard of the bamboo so my attempt at planting didn't do so well...

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi all, I haven't had ss for a long time but I can readily get it here (Sussex) in season in all the main supermarkets and local produce markets.
    I like it like you have it too Dot.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. hi Munise this may be of help to you

http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/spaghetti-squash/

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.