Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Pigs

Pot Bellied Pig Expecting

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by admin
  • Latest reply from bayvistafarm

1. Hi All,
    I have had an email from Allie about her pot bellied sow,

my pig is haveing a litter of pot bellied piglets and last litter her milk didnt come in (acidental litter). i woke up and heard skweeling out side and i looked and piglets!!!! any way she is due for halloween and i realy dont want to bottle-feed 4-10 piglets. last time only one lived. the runt which was skinny at birth so bottle feeding started at 1 hour old. the others we didnt relize until later where eating hay. are there any ways to make sure that her milk comes in. (i'm only eleven and i have three younger brothers. they where crushed when they woke up in the morning and there 3 favorite piglets had died when they where sleeping) i have been giving her tons of veggies. will that help or should i do something else? i dont like staying up till 5 a.m. and then getting up again at 6 a.m. please help/ allie

Any advice? I will go and check my pig keeping books.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. bayvistafarm

If she was really young, she was probably upset when she farrowed, and didn't let her milk down. I would consult your vet, as he/she can give you some oxytocin if the same thing happens. Sometimes sows can farrow with mastitis and that can inhibit milk production also. We used to give them a shot of banamine with the oxytocin after she was done farrowing. Hope this helps.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.