Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Hens

Chickens not laying in nest

(12 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Fluffy5
  • Latest reply from Mizzpiggy

Tags:

1. Fluffy5

My bantams have a nice little house and good size run and seem perfectly happy, I leave the door to the run open during the day so they can go out exploring and they always come home at night. When I keep the chickenss in the house and run we get eggs every day, when I let them out exploring we dont get any. I am convinced they are laying their eggs in some secret nest but I have hunted high and low and cannot find a nest or any eggs! Can anyone help how to get chickens laying only in their house but still let them go roaming? Thank you!

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. not sure about chickens as only have ducks but my advice if you can't find them around the garden would be to keep them in the run until after they have laid, if like ducks they would lay early morning so shouldn't be to harsh on them to do that

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Rhondanar

my hens roam free through out the day, but always come back to the coop to lay! in fact if the run door blows closed and they cant get into lay they get quite upset and let me know. Maybe leave them in the run until later on in the morning would help, then once they become accustomed to laying in the nesting box they will start to use it even when their out... sorry cant be of more help

Rhonda x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Mama

Hi fluffy,do you have plastic eggs in the nest boxes .All my chooks have laid else where when they were young and you don't say how old yours are .As chickens of any sort lay a little later each day unlike well behaved ducks . Try keeping them in for a few days with false eggs and see how it goes .Sure they have a nest hidden and well camouflaged ,little pests .Hope you find them and they behave themselves soon .Regards Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. dollydylo

Hi Fluffy.. I think the same - we used golf balls in the nests to encourage our hens to lay, and left them in longer until they got used to where and when to lay.
    Good luck!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Fluffy5

Thanks for all the comments! They seem to lay between 3-5pm ish, once they have laid I let them out the run until bedtime! I have golfballs in the nestboxes, they do look at them very comically, head tilted sidewyas, like what are these doing in my nest, but then lay right next to them. Think I will just have to persevere a bit longer and hope they get the message, they are this years chicks so maybe just need a bit longer to get the idea! Thanks!

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. oh that is late, I do get the odd one that late but not very often, how will you go on in winter when its dark and they are locked away before eggs are laid they will be there all night x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Mine used to lay in the morning, normally before 10 but they are now laying mainly in the afternoon.. perhaps they were also waiting for the summer that didn't arrive!! (well, not in Ireland anyway!)

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Mama

Do think it is just the laying cycle as they lay or should every 24 -25 hrs approx .Fluffys are most unusual but then we have all had unusuals at times .If we buy hens the same age then they will lay at approx the same time each day but doesn't change the cycle .Sorry about your summer worrywart :)Maybe next year it will happen .Best wishes to all Mama .

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. dollydylo

xx

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Fluffy5

Am hoping...... they will be so well trained by the short days and dark nights of Winter that they will go out to play and come home to lay their eggs no probs! Fingers crossed! I have been paying careful attentiaon to the egg laying time and have narrowed it down to 3-4pm, didnt realise that was so late. Could the time change or do you think it will always be about the same time? When our geese were laying some geese laid in the morning and one would always lay late afternoon fo whatever reason! Guess thats one of the reasons why we all think are little friends are great -because we never quite know what they are up to or are going to do next! ;o)

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Mizzpiggy

Our lay in the morning ...make sure you have straw down for them to lay eggs in we have a little corner they jump over a peace of woood a foot high and lay behind that we also leave the light on in night time switch it off after we finished work on the farm around 9 to 10ish pm

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.