Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Turkeys

Mike's Turkeys

(8 posts)

Tags:

1. Hi All,
    Mike from Borneo has sent me some phots of his turkeys so I am sharing them with you.

I wonder what breed they are?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. hazlia

Hi Sarah

I am not sure what breed they are!! I took some eggs in lieu of Goose eggs(they weren't laying!) These 2 hatched out. Completely different from each other and very docile. I have now got 10 more chicks from the same breeder (in Batu Gajah, Perak, west Malaysia - in case anyone has heard of that! Any old military who fought in the Malay Emergency - "It ain't half hot mum" will know of the place). They are all very robust and growing well - sadly wont be 'table ready' for this christmas! They are noisy beasts but the different sound makes for a very interesting cocophony!

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Hi Mike,
    I got some turkey eggs a few years ago but only managed to hatch one turkey and the poor turkey didn't make it. Your turkey's have nice markings. It will be interesting to see the changes as they develop.
    Very interesting to hear about where you got the eggs and some more chicks from.
    Are the turkey's in with the guinea fowl?
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. hazlia

These particular turkeys were hatched out in a friends incubator (massive industrial sized contraption) from singapore. I had 4 eggs - 3 hatched but one 50% paralised and didn't make it. The eggs came from a small holder about 3 hours drive north of Kuala Lumpur (Batu Gajah - means Elephant Rock!). I got my Guinea Fowl eggs from him as well. I meant to get some geese eggs but they wern't laying so I took a few extra Guinea eggs and 4 turkey eggs. I have since got some 'day' old keets, goslings and turkey chicks. He sends all his eggs to a 'hatchery' about 20km away and has a pretty good hatch rate across the board. He has a website/blogspot at http://masiranfarm-eng.blogspot.com/. He has been doing poulty for a few years now. I am trying to the same in East Malaysia as there is nothing else like it in Sabah except a government research facility which concentrates on cross-breeding chickens.

At the moment I keep the keets separate but once they are around 6 weeks I let them mix in with the chickens bigger turkeys and guinea fowl. They all get to free range during the day (those that can be bothered to venture out of the cage!) and so there is no victimisation of the smaller birds at feeding time. At night I scoop up the smaller birds and put in separate cage to feed them - otherewise they would starve!

The Turkeys are quite noisy but very docile and easy to catch as compared to the keets which are very noisy and have to be rounded up, cornered and then scooped up in a net! All makes for endless fun at bedtime!

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Hi Mike,
    It is so interesting to hear about where your guinea fowl and turkey eggs came from and what you are hoping to do. It was also interesting to visit the website of the poultry breeder who you got your eggs from. What alot of birds he has.

The two turkeys in the picture, were they both the same colour as chicks? I have been looking at timages of turkey breeds but think that until your turkeys are larger it will be difficult to tell what breed they are. Here's a link to a site that shows some good pictures of the chicks and the adult turkeys. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/turkeypage.html

I will find the picture of the turkey chick I hatched out a few years ago but unfortunately it didn't make it.

My guinea fowl have stopped laying and are very easy to round up now. They have started to follow me to the hut at about 3.30pm. Today 14 of them all dashed to the hut when they saw me.

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. hazlia

Hi Sara

The 2 Turkey chicks were very different as chicks (almost the same colour as they are in the picture) and I thought the black one was a chicken initially. 8 of the new turkey chicks are the same as the one on the right (the ligher coloured one) and the other 2 are almost white with a few 'flecks'. These larger 2 try to follow the Guinea Fowl around but seem to lack the energy to keep up! Then start to constantly 'cheep' when they left behind! I thought I lost the Guineas last weekend and then heard some ruslting in a Tarap (type of edible fruit) Tree and saw the 'famous five' preening themselves in the branches. I don't know what made them fly up there - it was mid afternoon and I was lying in a hammock under the tree and I didn't see or hear anything that may have spooked them. They all came down when they got bored!

I will soon go into the duck forum as I am trying to get some info on my ducks (which are bit of a curate's egg!). Mother goose is sitting on 6 eggs and I have 2 other goose eggs and some duck eggs in my incubator (experiment). I think I have too manay male ducks at the moment. They don't give anything back for all the food they eat! especially the muscovys (which are now table ready!!). Ducks had better look out!!!! (or lay some eggs!!)

Regards

Mike

Michael O'Riordan
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi Mike,
    I can't wait to see what the turkey pults look like when they are adults.
    I visited a neighbouring smallholder last week and as we stood chatting the turkeys he has came up. They seem to be quite friendly and inquisitive birds.
    Sounds idyllic lying in a hammock with your poultry enjoying themselves around you!
    Interesting to hear about the Tarap (edible fruit) The great thing about this site is how much I am learning from everyone.
    Look forward to hearing more about your ducks as well.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Hi All,

Here are some more photos of Mike's Turkeys.

Here are Mike's turkeys and guinea fowl.

Here are Mike's Turkey's posing in a tree!

Thanks for sending in the photos it is always good to see other poultry enthusiasts birds.

kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.