Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

Rat Infestation

(29 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by dollydylo
  • Latest reply from Mizzpiggy

1. dollydylo

Good afternoon All...
    whilst watching our hens and ducks and admiring them for being able to stay upright whilst be pounded by horizontal rain and wind, we suddenly spotted one huge rat near our chick run. We then spotted another, plus two small rats.
    After watching for a while, it seems we have at least two rat families (and possibly visiting friends!) running in and out of our duck and chicken area (the chick run is within this area).
    We have sectioned off one area from our flocks and put down rat poison and also one rat trap, and are currently looking online to purchasing bate boxes too. Does anyone have any advise for dealing with a large number of rats aggressively but safely for other animals?
    Many thanks

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. oh Karen we had them in spring the bated boxes worked for us but we did have to keep putting new ones down, try and remove any traces of food over night including wild bird feeders, although thankfully we never saw any in the daytime x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Mama

Hi Karen, we have many farm cats so thankfully we don't see rats. I know Mo had a terrible problem early in the year and her bait boxes did work ,so she would be the best one to advise on what she did .Do hope you can kill the horrors ,good luck .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Lorna

Hi Karen,

Hope you get rid of them soon, that is terrible.

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. dollydylo

Hiya.. a couple of our neighbours have cats, but we are in the country right next to fields so rats love it here. Have only had the odd lone rat before.
    Caught one earlier in the trap on some pastrami. hubby has drowned it and set the trap again. We know there are at least two families of them based on the numbers we have seen and the different directions they are heading away too. Getting some bait traps to put down tomorrow hopefully!
    Thanks for the support.. horrid things! (the rats, not you guys LOL)

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. quackers1984

i caught a rat a few months ago with a trap, we put mars bar on it, apparently mars bar is worth dying for!! the rats would come out when the ducks were having their nap in the bushes!!! we also got one of those boxes you put the poison in as the ducks cant eat it then xx

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Rhondanar

we had rats late spring, we used all different methods, humane traps, bate boxs, the snapper traps, in the end the bait boxs worked best but did take quite a while to work. The snapper traps did catch some, but didnt kill them. You really have to be aggressive with them as they take over very quickly. good luck karen

Rhonda x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. how's it going Karen x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. dollydylo

Hi all..
    lots of rat activity yesterday - two were sitting up watching me while licking their lips and then dashing too and fro to annoy me further. This morning hubby went out to check the trap and there were 5 rats strolling around like they own the place.
    It seems a little quieter now, so we are hoping the copious amounts of rat poison that has disappeared is now taking effect.
    Only one chicken egg today (it has varied from 3 - 6 these past weeks) so I am hoping that when we get rid of our furry 'friends' the egg production will increase.

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. hi Karen, the idea is they eat the poision then go back to their nests and die there, take it from me that doesn't always happen keep a good look out for dying or dead rats almost anywhere, and mice to as they will have taken the poision to x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Wolfyhybrid

About 3 months after moving into my cottage i invested in some chickens so had to move on a family of feral, wild cats that lived here. not long after they moved on the rats came and i lost several quail. i killed several with bait and rat snapper traps but now the cats have returned and I will not be moving them on again. They live in the trees aboyr 50 yards from the chicken and quail pens and dont bother them at all. I think everyone should have a cat or cats if they keep poultry they really do help you out.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Mama

Hi Wolf, That is my only reason for having cats as am a dog lover and yes you are right but not all keepers can or want cats. Karen hope you get rid of the Rolands quickly horrid creatures .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. dollydylo

Hi there
    Unfortunately I am not a fan of dogs or cats, although have no problem with cats in the country as they do a very useful job of keeping the mice/rat population down. Our neighbours down the lane have about 10 cats between them who are kept busy enough!
    Lots more poison went yesterday, but no sign of any activity today. I do keep having a look around for bodies, as I don't our hens to be pecking at anything but haven't spotted anything. Fingers crossed.
    x

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. Lorna

Hello Karen,

I think you are so brave in coping the way you do with the rats. I hope they all go soon as Mama says they are awful things, and then with this time of year they start to come in, it is always my worry about them as I have a stream near me, my cat Angel kills mice so that is something

Hope they are all gone soon,

Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. Rhondanar

Hi Karen, how is the rat problem? reading through the posts reminded me of when the poisen started working in our garden, the poisen slowed the rats down and the magpies finished quite a few of them off.. horrid eukkk. good luck and keep us posted

Rhonda x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. ahh Rhondanar what a horrible though and wouldnt that kill the magpies

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. dollydylo

Hello.. thanks for all the posts!
    We had one more corpse today - it had obviously been sunbathing when the poison had an effect, as it was sprawled in the middle of the sectioned off area near the ducks.

Much less movement today around the 'rat compound' and lots of poison gone. hopefully we are getting there!

My main concern is that I have two small children, who love playing around the chicken area, and of course collecting the eggs etc. The last thing I want is for them to get poorly after touching something with rat wee on it! Fortunately they understand that rats are dirty and are steering clear. That said, Cian (my son) wanted to know if it was the mummy rat or one of her 'children' that had died. He also seems to think there is a grandpa rat living with them that wears glasses! Oh the innocence.
    will keep you posted!!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. quacking minx

urgh I hate Rats ours are in full force at the moment also I saw 5 this morn and manage to catch one and dispose but there is several more we have bait boxes down but they only work for so long so I don't really rate them although they are good to have with bait in just incase

we also have clasp traps but if they don't get on them properly then it can get a bit nasty we also have those large sticky pads that have glue on them but rats will pull themselves off anything no matter what, I have come to some pads before now with a imprint of a rat but on rat :/ it was just his fur so he must have really pulled himself off

rats are so hard to get rid off, make sure all food is away and any holes/gaps put some of that wire wool stuff there as they will not chew through it (it cuts there mouth to shreds) when I was building the new duck pen I put glass all through the cement (as rats will chew through thats also) but not with glass in :D

like I said Rats are hard to get rid off you just have to keep at it, once you think its over give it a month or so and you will see them again :/ I guess thats the joys of having ducks lol

I might go buy a jack russell :) they are the best rats catchers I've seen :)

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. hi Karen what a worry yes with small children, contact with rat pee can cause wields disease which can be awful and in some cases prove fatal but im sure you already knew that
    its hard I guess, you can't really make children wear gloves while out playing all though with winter coming on maybe you can, after that hand washing when they come in and get them to understand the importance of not putting their hands near their mouth, but again you will know all this
    on the plus side, like you we live in the countryside and in 15 years of living here have hardley ever seen rats, this spring was the worst with them visiting everynight, unlike quacking minx, I found the pre bated boxes from rentokill were fab, they didnt have to last long as the rats couldnt seem to get enough of it, we were lucky to find their run and had boxes at intervals and replaced them as they emptied, we have seen no rats since then thankfully

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. quacking minx

we live in countryside but I live in a little village so houses are all around my grounds so maybe thats why its harder for us to get rid

I know the lady next door leaves food out for wild animals and I have asked her if she could please try to keep it minimal as I see rats coming from her side so I guess unless she gets bait boxes also I will always have the problem :( she won't though she says she likes rats and pigeons and foxes tut

all 3 are our enemy lol but we just try our best to keep them down on our side :)

I never said the bait boxes didn't work. they are good for getting rid of a batch of rats but they usually come back a good few months down the line :) the council stopped coming to us as they said there is nothing else they can do as the rats take the bait they all go then we phone back about 6 months down calling them back out so they advised us other ways which we do now ASWELL AS HAVING BAIT BOXES I use them all the time as a extra I just can't use the boxes alone as they just come back 6/12 mnths down the line

from my experience with them this is just the way I see it and I personally I find them a nightmare to get rid of

any rentakill product is very good we always use there poison and nothing other but you have to be careful with it as the grains are small and easy to drop ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES and wash after using

is it poss to maybe explain to the children that you need to have them stay away for a few days while you sort it? it is hard when you have little ones as they love to help and watch etc (I don't have kids so I'm rubbish to know if it would be easy or not to explain)

hope you sort it soon hun, I haven't seen any today but I prob will when I finish work maybe they are hiding as I caught one yesterday they will be out again soon though

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. dollydylo

Hiya

Sorry to hear that I am not alone in rat problems, although touch wood.. ours seem to be under control now! we haven't checked in the hedging for corpses and have seen no more rats since the second body we found.
    Some of the poison from the bait boxes has been eaten and we have kept one out for a precaution, however I think the majority of the poison was eaten from an 'open pipe' that denied access to our hens, but meant the rats could easily get it. The initial rat was caught in a trap with a piece of pastrami and hubby drowned it. There is a second door within the trap to supposedly entice baby rats that are following the squeals of a trapped mummy rat, and we have learnt now that you need to jam this shut before throwing the trap into deep water, as it can flip open allowing the rat to escape when it goes upside down!
    The kids are very good in staying clear of the chickens etc when told to, but still of course want to play with their swings etc which their paranoid parents are concerned may be covered in rat wee! My son who is 6 has a bad habit of licking his fingers, one we have tried unsuccessfully to stop for years, hence my concern, as I can't just keep them locked inside!

Fortunately our neighbours also do not believe in leaving scraps for wild animals etc.. there are enough wild rabbits and mice/rats to keep their tummys full! How annoying that your neighbour doesn't understand the concerns you have.

We have a chicken feeder that the hens need to stand on before it opens to give access to food. This keeps the food dry and out of sight/reach of preditors. We do however feed our ducks directly, but have limited the quantity and just increased the amount of times we feed them to ensure they eat all that is given!

Where is Pied Piper when you need him? LOL
    xx

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  22. lisamaslen

Hi been out this morning to let the ducks & chickens out and have see something had norred at the side of the door of the duck house, i allways put their food in my shed at night but last night i put it in the duck house, i was wondering if this was rats!!
    I not seen any but been back out and have seen hole dug under the chicken and duck houses, i was wondering what the best way to get rid of them, i do have 2 cats (lot of good they are!) and have a dog, Is poison the best way?
    Lisa
    xx

lisa x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. dollydylo

Hi Lisa

I have to say that we have found poison to be the easiest and quickest way to get in control of the situation. And it does sound like you have a rat problem.
    We have our chicken and rat houses on top of breeze blocks and this has stopped them from actually eating their way into the houses or making a nest under.
    As you have other pets, I would suggest bait boxes to be the safest option for you. We did find a corpse in ours after my last post so they do work!
    We never put food in our houses at night, but perhaps you should swap the food for a bait box and see if that entices them in. They will keep going for the food otherwise.
    Good luck Lisa.. let me know how you get on!!!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. have to say i think its a coincidence you spot signs of rats for putting food in the duck house just on the first night, if rats smelt food in a duck house they would smell it in a shed, my guess is they were already around and you havn't seen them, maybe your cats did but can't get into the pens the houses are kept in
    like Karen I found poision not only my best option but my only option, you need to find their run into your actual garden Lisa and put the pre baited boxes at intervals along that run making absolutly sure your animals cant get near them or the spills that rat feet can carry out of the boxes, also if you feed the wild birds stop doing that for a while so as to remove any food they may eat making the poision more tempting, it can take a few days for them to start taking the poision
    good luck xx

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  25. bayvistafarm

rats are the most disgusting creatures on earth. I have seen up to 20 or more at a time here in the barn. Especially after a cow calves... and drops her afterbirth, I have seen at least that many gathered round, eating, and trying to each drag it off in different directions. I have watched them leap on, and over the calves as they lay under on the straw, playing and foraging about. I have cats, but they are lazy fixed males. I put out poison too, and get a few, but if your not careful, rats get smart to that stuff, and they will leave it. Its an on and off again procedure. Trouble is with this place, is feed abounds everywhere. We feed on the floor in front of the cattle, and have a covered accessible silage pit, that they have moved into in the past couple years. VERY annoying to have them riddle the plastic with holes under the tires holding it down along the edges, then all the rain and snow gravitates off the domed peak to the sides, and just runs into the silage. We sometimes rig a pail of water with 'chop' on the top, and a swinging lid (rats need alot of water, and can't do without it), and when they think they are jumping on feed (but smell the water), they fall in and drown. We have caught alot this way. Not a great way to die.. but then neither is a slow poisoning death. I try not to think about that tho, lol.

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. Mama

Anyway they can be got rid of is a good way ,they serve no purpose to man nor beast and only spread disease .Well done on your method . Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  27. dollydylo

Crikey, and I thought we had problems! And yes, rats are vile worthless creatures. x

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  28. cutandrun

hi best way to get rid of rats kee changeing you bate so buy mor ethan 1 type keep your bait boxes full but do change bait as they do get immuned to the poison hope this is good advise as it works for me but they will be their for ever and ever so
    if you have poutry you will always have rats so keep on it||

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. Mizzpiggy

next thing we know is no rats lol but as you know always be about on farms more the pity :-( just matter keeping on top them regular.

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.