Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Incubator settings for Japanese quail

(20 posts)

1. Jz_8889

Hello I have recently purchased an incubator but I don't have a clue about what temp or humidity to set it at? It's quite a small wee thing, a beginners incubator, I am putting 20 eggs in and need to know what will get me the best results, also I am not going to be home during the day, how am I able to turn eggs, or does the incubator turn them?
    Thank you Jz_8889 xx

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Hi Jz,

Here is the info for incubating japanese quail

The incubation period for Coturnix (Japanese) quail eggs is 17 days.

The temperature in the incubator for Coturnix (Japanese) quail eggs is 99.5-99.9 degrees fahrenheit.

The humidity level (wet bulb thermometer) for Coturnix (Japanese) quail eggs is 84-88 degrees fahrenheit.

The final day of egg rotation for Coturnix (Japanese) quail eggs is day 15.

http://farmingfriends.com/incubating-coturnix-japanese-quail/

Does your incubator have an automatic egg turner?

Good luck with the incubating.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Jz_8889

Hello, I have got the incubator (it's called a rotohatch) and it came with the hydrometer and thermometer, but it doesn't say what i'm supposed to do with them or when and how do i put the water in, can you help please?

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Wolfyhybrid

I would put the water in befor you switch the incubator on as adding water later can alter the tempature. Also I am pretty sure that the ROTOHATCH is a manual egg turning incubator so you will need to turn them yourself 2 to 3 times aday. Change the temp setting to ferhinheight ( sorry cant spell that word ) at 99.8F eggs will be ok if it rises to 100F or slips to 99.6.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Jz_8889

Hello :) I have put the water in and set the temp right and it is all good :) I have a few eggs in there and I turn them myself :)

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Jz_8889

Think I can see some piping :D The eggs move a little bit when i open to roll eggs, but i think i'll stop that now as I can see small holes in some of the eggs :D Its a bit early, is there something wrong?

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Hi Jz,
    You can stop turning eggs 3 days before they are due to hatch, so if they have started to pip stop turing the eggs and leave them. Have you refilled the water tray, sometimes they need more humidity in the last 3 days?
    Good luck with the hatch.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. Jz_8889

Yeah it's the last 3 days starting now and I put more water as you suggested :) I really really hope they hatch :)

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. hello its a long time since you said they were pipping, has nothing more happened I came on hoping to hear you had chicks already

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Jz_8889

I'm a bit worried to, maybe one of the eggs just cracked while I as turning them, it's only been 16 days...a few do feel quite heavy though last time I rolled them :)

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. oh dear how awful if its killed the chick, they are such tiny eggs, guess its just a waiting game now
    hope all goes well

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. Jz_8889

Yes I agree but tomorrow is the day :) How long do they stay in the incubator after hatching?

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. with ducks and chickens normally 24 hours until they are nice and dry, then go into a brooder, but these are clearly a lot smaller, if you type quail into the search box above you will see all the posts on quail maybe there will be something interesting there for you to read

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. Jz_8889

ONES HATCHED :D and the other eggs are moving!!!

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. Jz_8889

The brooder is all set up with water, food, heat lamp and a bit of wood chippings :) The chicks name is Java but I hope s/he lives! Java is making little cheeping noises which i've been told can encourage the others to hatch :D :)

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. yes i have heard that to fingers crossed for you and the little chicks

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. Jz_8889

I now have a second chick hatched called Truffles as I had a naming contest with friends and this was the decided name :D Also because s/he is a browny colour :D

Julia x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. Yondett

I'm trying to hatch 11 Japanese quail eggs in a home made incubator. I'm wondering where you purchases your's from Jz?
    I'm so pleased you have had some success...so exciting
    I'm very much hoping mine will hatch this time in my L&P box with desk lamp and thermometer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. jam

I have had 25 japanese quail eggs in the incubator for 18 days now,the temperature is at 37.5 there is no sign of anything yet,will they take longer at this temperature to hatch

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. Hi Jam,
    I have hatched japanese quail and they usually hatch around 17 or 18 days but sometimes the hatch can be delayed so I would wait. Can you see any signs of pipping or any movement or can you hear any chirping. you could try chirping at the incubator to see if you get a response. I have read that japanese quail will synchrise their hatch by chirping to each other in ther shells, not sure if theis is the case but I have seen lots hatch all at once which is great to see.
    Good luck with your hatch I would certainly keep the incubator going for up to a week incase the hatch is late.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.