Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

HELP - Sick chick

(10 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by crazychick
  • Latest reply from crazychick

Tags:

1. crazychick

i have a day old chick, a chinese painted quail, it cant stand up, had a tilted head and just spins round in the incubator, i have moved the others to the brooder but this one just cant walk, i can prop it up and it will eat form a spoon, been doing this every couple of hours! will it get stronger and recover or is it going to be like this for life?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then it could be a cow doing a duck impersonation.

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. MeDucks

Sorry to say I have had 2 or 3 chicks like that in different batches, and they have all died within a few days or a week.
    Make sure it gets a little food and water, you will have to help it as you have been doing, and who knows you may be lucky and it may survive. But dont blame yourself if it does not.
    All the best with the chick.
    Barrie

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. try sugared water for strength others have had this and they have survived, Lisa and Mama had this with a duckling and a goose and even made a splint to hold the head up and both theirs survived but as Barrie says they can also die and yours are alot smaller than ducklings and geese, good luck

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. crazychick

Thank you, im glad there is a lil hope! i wasnt expecting it to make the first night but as it did i couldnt give up on it, i think its too small to make a splint for but i hold it up rigth when feeding it! ive got it in a lil cupcake case in the incubator so it doesnt spin round too much!

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then it could be a cow doing a duck impersonation.

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. crazychick

it died! along with another chick, not sure these are a very good quailty stock!

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. thats sad and yes maybe bad stock, given that quail normally stop laying in September im wondering where you got them from, I think incubators are fab but think we could all learn from nature and leave it until spring, birds in the wild wouldn't be breeding this late in the year

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. crazychick

i agree, incubator is off now! i got a little carried away, just had a big pen built for the poultry once its finished and the winter is out of the way i will think of extending my farm family, i need to build some nesting boxes too and hopefully they will do it themselves!

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Wolfyhybrid

Hi, my itailn jumbo quail just brooded her own and raised 7. they are all in the outdoor pen together now with the chicks about 5 weeks old. and would you believe it, she layed another clutch of eight eggs and started brooding all over again but I knew these were not fertile as there are no adult mails with her so removed them to give her a rest and atlast she has stopped laying. the weather down here in Cornwall is faily mild during the day but the nights are to cold for newly hatched chicks. Also the light as gone short which has an effect on their egg laying. Im going to leave my quail outdoors all winter in covered pens to prevent drafts so to give the layers a rest.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. ruskiquail

TO CRAZY CHICK; I was having the same problem with my quails and until i used anti bacterial soap to clean the incubator. I took the eggs out and wrapped them in a clean towel while i cleaned the bottom half of the incubator (keep the top half running so it doesn't cool off. after 5 min of drying I put the incubator back together and waited for it to warm up (about 5 min.) then i stuck the eggs back in and four more hatched without any problem.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. crazychick

that chick died it made it to a week old but it just wasnt eating a enough, ive thougherly cleaned the incubator out with disinfectant and anti bacterial for the nxt lot! not having a good time with my birds at the moment, gunna wait for the spring and a sort out on the farm and start again!

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.