Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

male duck rivalry

(9 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by campbell ridge
  • Latest reply from admin

1. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi all.
    Well, it looks like our vent sexing of the ducklings was right. We seem to have two males out of our batch of 5 ducklings as they are now developing their different voice and George is chasing them about and generally telling them to butt out! He doesn't chase them continually but when he does, it's a full on, head down charge and they tear around the garden. (the youngsters are faster tho!) I guess we will have to ride the storm and see how things progress. We don't really want to get rid of any but it may come to that if they really don't get on. If it continues, perhaps we ought to see how they get on in two groups - separating the adults from the youngsters.
    We may actually get some eggs again. That would be nice!
    Any suggestions/advice from those of you that have encountered the same?
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I don't have any experience of keeping more than one drake but have been googling about male duck rivalry for you.

I found that someone has said that,

"Drakes do fight. Usually while both are on top of the duck trying to claim her. NOT a lot of fun for her. And if it happens while in a kiddie pool -- could be deadly for her."

How many females are there altogether to the drakes?

Could you increase the number of females to satisfy all the drakes?

Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Sara,
    The male ducklings haven't shown any signs of mating yet, it's just George being rather dominant at this stage - He has been trying of late with no success as yet....
    We have the original trio and now the 5 babies (2M 3F) - so it may still work out ok. We hadn't thought about adding any more ducks at this stage, but I suppose that is another alternative. I also don't want to run the risk of any diseases coming in with new stock, after seeing what poor Lisa went through with her new batch. ... However it might be nice to find a couple of hand reared females..................
    They have been relatively calm today so we will monitor the situation and see how it goes. We rather like them all and it would be sad to see any of them go.
    Thanks,
    Sarah.
    x

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

George has been a bit of a beast this morning and has been chasing Gordon round and grabbing his tail, feathers eveywhere! Unfortunately I am out today, so have seperated Georgie, which has quietened everyone down. Will monitor over the weekend.
    Hope you all have a nice weekend.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Hi Sarah,
    Are the ducks that are with George, the same size as him? If he has been trying to mate with out success yet he might have his eyes set on the ducklings when they are big enough and so is warning the other drakes off now. I am saying this as I have noticed for quite some time now that 2 of my ducks are smaller and Francis is always trying to mate with them rather than the others. He is always chasing the smallest around and I think this is because she is easier to mount so maybe George is thinking the younger ducks will be his when they are older!

I am sorry to hear that George has been mean to Gordon, he obviously sees Gordon as his biggest threat to male dominance!

Hope things stay settled over the weekend. Have a good weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. campbell ridge
    Administrator

We have decided to separate the ducks as George is now grabbing both of the young males by the tail/back - where ever he can grab and hanging on whilst the try to run away. The adults are mating again after long abstinence and the 3 of them seem quite content to have their own blue pool, their small house and half the paddock. So perhaps we will get some eggs again soon!
    The babies are doing fine but a little confused. Hopefully they may get a little tamer now too as they are always the first to come over when we call them offering grated courgette!
    Hope you are all making the most of the wonderful indian summer.
    Regards,
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear that George has been having a go at the two other males. Glad you have managed to sort the situation. Sounds like the adults are now happy to be separated from the others.
    I seem to be getting 4 duck eggs in the hut in a morning and then sometimes I find one egg laid in the middle of the lawn or field! I am sure all 6 ducks are still laying but trying to find the other eggs is not always easy!
    Hope you are having a good weekend. saturday was just lovely and the ducks thoroughly enjoyed the pool.
    Best wiahes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. campbell ridge
    Administrator

We have eggs again! Well, one yesterday and one today.
    This has come about since we seperated them last week. The adults have moved back into their old house and the youngsters are roosting in the shed - they also have the bath and the oldies have the old blue pool, they are more than happy to keep away from the youngsters but they still would rather be with their parents. This will not be as George grabbed one of the girls a couple of days ago so they have definitely "left home"
    Lets hope the two young males can co-exist as they mature.
    Regards to you all, S
    arah

Sarah L
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Hi sarah,
    Delighted to hear that you have eggs again. Glad that your two groups of ducks are now fine. Long may harmony reign!
    Hope you had a good weekend.
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.