Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Technical Information

New look forum

(17 posts)

1. Mama

Sara ,I like the new look although am a fuddy duddy but as Sarah says none of the links work on the top bar but have no probs with the links on the left .Mama xx

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Mama,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I really only changed the theme to try to combat all the spam I was getting, robot spammers were registering one or two a minute behind the scenes.
    Once we are happy that the spammers are not a problem I will make the links on the navigation bar link to suitable pages on the forum/website. I'll let you know when I've got these links working.
    Hope you are well.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I found it confusing that people were commenting on how nice the new layout is but it is no good in Mozilla. Half the words and links are missing and the whole page looks odd. I have to come out and go back in in order to look at new topics.
    I find ie too slow and also none of the links across the top - "home/ archives/contact us" work when clicked on using mozilla, ie or chrome.
    Could you get your man to look into this please Sara.?
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for letting me know. I have only been looking at the forum in firefox.
    I will look into this. Hubby has been trialling a different theme on his forum to combat the spammers but it didn't have a search button so I had avoided that theme, although I think it's my original theme. Here is his forum http://vintagetractorengineer.com/forums/ I wonder if this looks ok in the other browsers I will check it out when I get a minute. I can always add a search button!!!
    Hope you are well.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. well its not working Sara, spam since your reply here to mama

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Hi Mo,
    Yes we have had a few spammers but not the hundreds I was getting on a daily basis, which no-one else could see as I had registration moderation switched on, so there has been an improvement as I have only had about 5/6 spammers since the change in theme. I have switched off the registration moderation so people can register and comment straight away. It's difficult to know which is the best way to combat these spammers!
    Thanks for your vigilence in spotting spammers. Much appreciated.
    Hope you are well.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Mama

Can't imagine the numbers you are getting Sara and none of us see all that mostly .Thanks for a great forum despite the pests who bug you .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. have found another issue with this new site, im trying to find a post I started for information to help Crazychick with her sick duck they used to be listed on our profile page and now they arnt there

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Hi Mo,

Thanks for letting me know about this. I may try the original theme and see if this has that feature.
    Hoping to look at the forum in more detail in January have a meeting arranged with Andy so can ask about all the features we want and how to add them!
    Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I also have to log in again each time I come to the site. I am using mozilla so how can you use it ok and I can't? My search doesn't work either :(

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. crazychick

i admit im struggling with the changes! none of the tabs at the top work for me and i am also loggin in and out, yes'day i managed to post the same thread twice :(

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck then it could be a cow doing a duck impersonation.

(Miss) Stevie x X x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Hi All,

Hubby has sorted the links at the top of the page on the navigation bar.

We are seeing Andy tomorrow, so if anyone has any issues with the technical side of the forum then please let me know and I can try to get these addressed.

Also please let me know if you would like any other features for the forum and we will discuss the best plugins to create the feature eg private messaging - we have the plugin but at the moment hubby can't get it to work so we will ask Andy about this tomorrow.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. hi Sara, the only problem I have which others have also mentioned is that we can't stay logged into the forum like we used to, its only a small issue to have to sign in each time but do wonder if some of the members who havn't been seen here for a while can't actually remember their log on details
    and as i mentioned earlier on this post that on our profiles we have lost the list of topics we have started which does slow down our search for information for other members x

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. Hi Mo,
    Thanks for your comments. Hubby and I looked at both these issues yesterday, but they are beyond our IT capabilities, I will ask Andy, it may be that I need to change the theme again, hubby's theme has the list of topics started by members as well as what they've replied on, but his search isn't as good!
    Best wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi all, I find the search facility is too difficult. If for instance you wanted to find the "odd eggs" topic, i have tried typing in strange, odd, unusual, and egg problems, but specific topics don't come up and it produces so many to go and look at that I give up.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. hi Sara while the adverts on the posts doesn't bother me, I was surprised to see one for a dateing site after your reply to Fluffy regarding incubation, just wondering if Farming Friends picks the adverts or if its random from a service you have

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. Hi Mo,
    I am signed up with google adsense so google looks at the content of the forum and chooses the ads for me. It could be something to do with the word friends as the name farming friends could suggest a dating site!
    Thanks for asking about this as it is intersting to knwo how the ads are selected.
    Best Wishes
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.