Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

Air Sac in Incubated goose eggs

(7 posts)

1. Hi All,
    Colette on the farmingfriends facebook page http://www.facebook.com/farmingfriends has posted about her goose eggs in the incubator.

just wonder if any of your members might b able to help me, we have four goose eggs in an incubator due to hatch on Christmas day so not long, but the air cell is a strange shape sort of droops down both sides like a v shape, do you think they might still hatch? Colette

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Mama

My only experience is from last year and not a v shape at all .Hope all goes well for Collete ,would be lovely to have a hatch on christmas day .Good luck ,Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. coz1979

Hi
    Thanks for replying. The eggs started to pip on the 22nd, but they were having problems as the humidity would not stay high no matter how many cloths i put in. I finally made the decision to help on 23rd, took it very slowly and finally 2 of them came out kicking on 24th. The third i helped only round the head and it finally was out on christmas day, but its neck was twisted and it died a few hours later, the 4th was DIS, but 2/4 eggs isnt bad considering its Scotland and Winter. only 1 of the 6 crested ducks did make it, the rest DIS. I was also wondering what can i feed them as i have the unmedicated chick crumb, but everywhere says they need grass to graze, but i cant let them outside in this weather they would die of cold. Any advice would be great as only have experience of hatching and hand rearing chickens and ducklings?
    Thanks
    Colette

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. Mama

So sorry a lot didn't make it and never had an incy only a natural hatch.Lettuce ,spinach and any other light greens you can get hold or simlpy some chopped grass. Dandelion leaves if you still have them but guess not at this time of year given where you are .To be honest wouldn't hatch at this time of year again ,far to difficult for you and the hatchlings .Good luck with the little ones .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. coz1979

Hi mama
    I completely agree never hatching at this time of year again, we only tried it because we lost all our ducks 8/9 weeks ago to a mink and we are new to poultry 2011 was our first year. Hopefully all will go well now and they will get big and strong. I am not sure how to post pics.
    Thanks for all your help
    Colette

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Hi All,
    Colette sent me these photos of her goslings and the miniature duckling.

Thanks for sharing these photos Colette.
    Hope the goslings and duckling are doing well.
    Kind regards
    sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. Mama

Oh Colette what a beautiful set of pics ,am so happy for you and so pleased you shared these thankyou
    .Mama x

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.