Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Trouble with baby quail hatching right now

(3 posts)

Tags:

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered

I am a new owner of 4 Japanese Quail.
    They were about 8-10 weeks old when I got them and started laying eggs a couple of weeks after arriving at my place.
    I got them with the eggs in mind and also just because I think they're adorable little creatures.
    I thought I had 2 girls and 2 boy but it turns out I have 1 boy and 3 girls.
    After I had collected eggs for about a week, I decided to leave them as the girls had made a nest that they were all laying in. After 3 days there were 9 eggs in the nest and no sign of anyone wanting to spend time sitting so I had the bright idea of trying to hatch them myself.
    I bought them all inside then went to the internet to see if I could find where to get an incubator from.
    I couldn't find anything except on an American site and one on trademe that was extremely expensive ($650).
    I decided to make one at home.
    I got together a box, a lamp and a thermometer.
    I set it all up and got the temp to 100.5 F
    Each day I turned the eggs and constantly kept an eye on the temp.
    Now they have started to hatch and I've been having a little trouble.
    This morning I noticed that two had pecked through the shell but were dead. I opened them up and they seem perfectly formed.
    I am thinking that I may have not provided enough humidity through the incubation period so the shells may have been too hard for the babies to break.
    Then I heard a 3rd chick picking at the shell and noticed it had Pipped. I waited and gave it time but other than struggling it didn't seem to be getting any further.
    After loosing the first two I decided to help it a little and gradually the third chick (with lots of struggle) was hatched about 3 hours ago. It's doing well and seems strong.
    I can hear another little one picking at the inside of it's shell...not sure what to do now.
    Please is there anyone here who can give me some good advice.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Anonymous
    Unregistered

I managed to help 2 little chicks out of their shells and they are strong and doing well.
    7 more eggs but so far no movement from them.
    I'll leave them over night then hopefully I'll get some ideas about what to do when I wake.

Please if anyone has some good advice?????

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Hi Yondett,
    congrats on the 2 quail chicks, I hope they are doing well. As you say I would leave the others over night if they haven't yet pipped. Have you topped up the tray to raise the humidity again, if not then you could add warm water so that the temp and humidity don't drop too much.
    Good luck with the rest, please just ask if you have anymore questions.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.