Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Incubating eggs one at a time?

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Mungo
  • Latest reply from campbell ridge

1. Mungo

Hi,
    I'm trying my hand at incubating some Pekin Duck eggs. I live in a hot country and have been unable to hold the eggs at 10C and so have put the eggs straight into the incubator as they come, which is about one a day. I know i have to change the temp after 25 days, should i transfer the eggs one day at a time to another incubator with the new temp or can I just change the temp at some sort of average number of days?
    Also, in future would the vegetable compartment of the fridge be a suitable place to hold the eggs before incubation?
    Thanks

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. campbell ridge
    Administrator

When we incubate eggs in UK we bring them into the house and they are kept together at room temp - 17-20c for up to a week then all will be incubated together so they all hatch within a day or two of each other. You are making it harder for yourself than it needs to be.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mungo

Yeah I figured it wasn't the brightest thing i've done. Unfortunately room temp is about 25-30, so i had my concerns about leaving them out, though it does get a but cooler at night. Would the vegetable compartment of a fridge be a bad idea?

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I think you would find that is colder than you want but I guess you could try it, at least the embryos won't start forming.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.