Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Geese

HELP! Hatching Egyptian Goose Egg & Prevent Imprint?

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Texastravis
  • Latest reply from m40mo

1. Texastravis

Ok, I will try to keep this short...Egyptian Goose layed eggs on my roof 1 month ago (I live on gold course). Today I found 2 eggs on the ground that either fell out or were thrown out. 1 egg badly cracked with blood coming out, opened the egg and goose was dead. The other egg was slightly cracked with goose still alive. I now have the egg in an incubator which keeps wobbling back and forth and chirping...I am guessing the guy will bust out in the next day or so.

My goal is to get this guy back in the environment he belongs in. So..what do I do? I am tossing around some ideas and would appreciate some advice from people who have done this before.

Plan A: Sneak the egg back to the nest before it hatches

Plan B: Sneak the baby bird back to the nest right after
    hatching

Plan C: Hatch the bird and raise it to a certain recommended age and then release it back to the wild. I do not mind doing this but my concern is this whole "imprinting" business. I dont want the poor thing to love and rely on me then just throw him outside...therefore I would need some recommendations on preventing this from happening (If yall think this even is a problem) whether it be to buy another goose, steal another egg, etc.

All suggestions welcome.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Texastravis

Some concerns about the first 2 options....If the egg was actually thrown out for a reason then why wouldnt the bird do it again. Another concern is my untimely death when the goose comes home early while I am on my roof haha.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. oh dear what a delema for you, firstly I find it hard to think an egg can fall out of a nest so more likely they were thrown out either by the parents or by another bird or predator maybe, if this one succesfully hatches and you can I would deffinatly try returning it to the nest as mum will know best how to feed and care for it, or another thought do you have a wildlife park near by who could take it and care for it as again they would know what to do
    I see no point in trying to keep it and in no way should you consider stealing another egg but im sure that was a joking suggestion
    good luck what ever you do

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, it may be a predator took the eggs one by one and was disturbed and dropped them both, one of which has survived - one hasn't. I would put them back into the nest and hope for the best.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. Texastravis

Well just informed while at work that another egg was found on the ground. That egg was placed in the incubator as well.

And yet another problem....they have both hatched. lol

Is putting the babies back in the nest still an option?

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. hello again, if you are seeing mum sitting regulary on the nest its possible she is accidently dropping them from the nest as she is trying to help them out of the shell, if possible I would still try putting them back as it really is the best place for them, but if she was throwing them out or it was a predator then of course the goslings could still end up dying,
    you mentioned raising them your self, how realistic do you think this option is, it could be done now you have two but do you have any knowledge or experience of doing it, and more to the point somewhere safe to do it, by the time you read this the goslings should be out of the incubator and be feeding in a brooder,and as they get older will need swimming water but without the care of mum their feathers won't be waterproof for a long time, so much to consider for you, more help in this link

http://www.acornhollowbantams.com/getting_started.cfm?id=48

sorry about time delay in answering as you may have seen most members here live in the UK so your news maybe alot different by now

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.