Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Wildlife

Dealing with rats

(13 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Laurence
  • Latest reply from Peterosborne8

Tags:

1. Laurence

Hi all. Just going outside to chop up an old washing machine to line the inside of my hut. Rats keep gnawing through and I've lost a few eggs I think. Has anyone got any tips on deterring them? Thanks.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Laurence you may have seen in previous posts lots of us have had rat problems at some time or another, I think if we keep birds or feed wild birds there isn't much you can do to detere them apart from keeping the area tidy of food spills but as yours are gnawing into the shed seems you have a good solution there already
    there are variuos methods of getting rid of them though and we all have differing views on that, to me it was poision as they are filthy horried creatures in my opinion

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Hi Laurence

We have ducks and chickens in seperate houses, and have both houses sitting on breeze blocks to stop rats nesting underneath. We also have a feeder that the hens need to stand on to open it up. This means we don't have loose food lying around, which obviously will attract rats.

rat's apparently can't eat through wire wool, so perhaps some of this in the most 'knawed' areas would be a plan.

Do you put food in their house at night? This would be an attraction to the rats too so I would recommend you find an alternative place to keep the food.

A bait box with rat poison would be a plan too..

Good luck!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Laurence

Thanks. We are pretty good with keeping the food away. We have a concrete base to our hut ( an old kennel). I put it down to stop the rats and foxes burrowing. Didnt think they would eat through the sides! We have a deep clean every six weeks or so. Im afraid I am with Mo on this one and am inclined to use poison but worry about the other animals getting access. I'm thinking i'll get some traps before I try the warfarin.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi Laurence. Could you tack some small gauge wire mesh around the base of the shed? up to about 30cm should be sufficient.

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Laurence

Do you know, I just don't know why that never occurred to be before this afternoon. I was just getting ready to cut the washing machine into bits and remembered that I have some plastic coated chicken wire. So I've used that inside now. A bit of mortar here and there in the concrete, a good jet wash and new straw and I think I have one up on the rats in our arms race (for the minute at least!)

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Mama

Sorry but traps are the best or poison .

Once you have solved your rat problem, the last thing you want is a swift return of some new furry friends. So the first thing to do is to make sure your yard or garden is tidy. Remove any junk wood, corrugated sheeting, waste masonry or any other junk that could provide shelter. Trim back any overgrown vegetation and don't stack anything against the walls of your property. Take a tour around the external walls of your home and look for holes around pipes, damaged ventilation bricks and gaps beneath cladding. Gaps around pipes can be sealed with cement and gaps to cladding and ventilation bricks can be covered with steel mesh. Don't use chicken wire as rats can chew through this with ease.

Copied from a Rat infestation site and can send link if you wish Laurence and think your washer bits will work well.Evil vile creatures they are.Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Laurence

Hi Mama. Thanks for that. We have around 2 acres and the duck and chicken houses are about 50 yards from the house. I'm not going to be able to remove all the hiding places. I have tonnes of rubble from the bases of old pig houses and quite extensive decking at the back of the house and a small hay barn. With luck this year we will build stables. I'll not chase them away properly I don't think. I think rat. traps are going to have to be part of my daily routine. We adopted two feral kittens who are quite tame now and should mature this spring, I guess they might help a little.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. I knew there was more than total disgust that made me want to get rid of rats but having read this link Sara shared on another post im glad I have killed the rats I have so far,
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/61/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Mama

Laurence your cats will do a great job,we have 13 that all live in the barn .We feed them twice a day and have never seen a live rat or mouse for many years .We do see field mice however nibbling on wheat that we feed our fowl on and to me they are not a problem . Rats are so disgusting and after reading the shared link above ,If i could I would hate them more and how anyone could think of a humane trap is really beyond me .The only good one is a dead one and you keep at it Laurence and the best of luck .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. kanecusa

Watch Out for a Rodenticide coming to the market place in the coming month. This will aide in stopping rodents in poultry farm and feed mill surroundings.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. campbell ridge
    Administrator

please be so careful in any use of rodenticides, not only for their danger to our ducks/chickens but their effects on wildlife. Rat poison does not discriminate unfortunately. http://www.thinkwildlife.org.uk/rodenticide-wildlife.php

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Peterosborne8

Hi Laurence, if you know some terreir lads they will be your best chance if they have a smoker and I few dogs this is the most humain way of dealing with the rats as they don't die slowly due to poisoning. Rat also become ammunied to poison so you need to keep changing the poison type. A good group of terrier lads will rid your rats within a couple of visits and they will do it more than likely for free!!!!

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.