Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

mixing breeds

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Rat assasin
  • Latest reply from dollydylo

Tags:

1. Rat assasin

ive only ever kept x-bats but thanks to a fox i thought id try something new. ive found a breeder whos got sussex lights and black copper marans, they are seven week old, will they get on when there older?

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hello, I dont keep chickens only ducks but lots of people have mixed flocks, I know there can be problems sometimes when introducing new birds to an old group but if these have been raised together already I dont see why there would be a problem assuming they are all hens and no cockerals with them

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. dollydylo

Morning!

I have a mix of about 6 hen breeds of different sizes and they all get on fine. We just had the normal pecking order going on when we introduced new hens to the flock but they just get on with it all with no problem.

Light Sussex is one of my favourites - we had one previously and called her the queen! The black copper marans are beautiful

Good luck!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Rat assasin

thank you thats what i thought,just wanted somthing my 4yr old daughter could watch grow. i do feel bad that were not rescuing again thou

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. dollydylo

Hiya

I did exactly the same with my children - now aged 5 and 6. They love feeding and watching the hens and ducks, and also of course collecting the eggs.

It also improved their egg eating as they are involved with them.

enjoy

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.