Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Incubating and Hatching Eggs

Incubator humidity help

(11 posts)

1. Fluffy5

I recently purchased an r-com suro incubator, all excited I put in 9 of my own pure breed eggs, and basically I was very disappointed-none survived. :o( I got 3 to the pipping stage, two struggled, even with a little bit of help, 1 hatched but being a lone chick didn't stand much chance. On checking my eggs 8 out of 9 were fertile and all looked fully developed ready to hatch, but for some reason didn't hatch or struggled, even more disappointing.
    I was wondering if I had maybe run the humidity too low? I set if at 43% until day 18 and then increased it by 1%/day until day 21 when I went to 60%. Had the low humidity damage already been done by then?
    The sponge inside also always looks dry, should it be damp?
    What settings do other people use that work?? I could really do with some advice!
    I put in some more eggs on friday night setting the humidity at 45%, and would appreciate any help for the critical last few days! Thank you!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. sorry i can't offer advice to you, but sure some of the members who have done incubation will help, to be totaly honest im replying in the hope that bringing your post back to the top of the page someone with experience will see it and help you
    good luck this time it must be very upsetting getting so far then loseing all

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. Mama

Sorry missed your post fluffy ,I don't use incys but learning all on here yes humidty is a very important factor .Am sure Sara or other members who do will help soon .So sorry to hear of the deaths and sad for you.Fingers crossed for the new babies .Good luck Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. I have a home-made cooler style incubator, I have water 1/8 inch deep on the bottom bowls on the rack and my hydrometer says the RH is only 48% .... It is so moist & wet in there, yet it still says 45%-48% ....I live in Florida and in my house with the AC on its 55%+ I am guessing the hydrometer is bad? It just doesn't seem right. Are my Duck eggs OK if the RH is way too high?
    HELP!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. campbell ridge
    Administrator

This has been dealt with in depth before and lots of answers can be found here: http://farmingfriends.com/reasons-why-fully-formed-chicks-may-not-hatch-out/.
    Duck eggs need different temperatures and humidity to chicken eggs.

Sarah L
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. Fluffy5

Thanks for the concern from everyone, I have used the link to previous posts but am afraid can't find anything about humidity. Has anyone any advice or suggest the settings that they use? Thank you for your help!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. found this on Saras web page not sure if its what you are looking for
    http://farmingfriends.com/humidity-levels-for-egg-incubation/

mo x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Hi there

We have used an incubator a few times and yes, the humidity and water level do make a difference. Ours only needed water once, with a small top up when hatching and had the humidity set at a continuous level throughout for our hen eggs.

I will dig out the instructions and get back to you - so sorry that you have gone through this, and hope Sara can give you advise for future hatchings

Karen x
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. Hi fluffy,
    what sort of eggs are they? are they duck or hen eggs?

Hope you get the humidity levels sorted. I have always found this very difficult.

Some people do dry incubation where they don't have much water in until the last three days. Here is a discussion about it http://farmingfriends.com/should-you-add-water-to-incubator-when-incubating-poultry-eggs/
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. Fluffy5

Thank you for the comments Karen and Sara. They are chicken eggs. I have seen comments from people saying they run their incubators totally dry which seems to go against what many other people say about running constant about 45% and then increasing for the last couple of days- maybe both ways can work! This time I am currently running at 45% and was going to increase it to 65% for the last 2 days. I guess if that doesnt work :o( I could just run it dry completely next time. I just want to give the chicks the best chance of making it into the world! Maybe there is no right answer and is all just personal preference?

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. Hi Fluffy,
    I haven't incubated hen eggs, but have quail, ducks and guinea fowl. I have often put water in the tray to begin with and then topped up for the last three days.
    I think recording the humidity temps and temp in the incubator and outside the incubator and when you add water etc is good as this gives you a record of what you have done so you can tweak it next time if need be.
    I have always found the humidity levels difficult.
    Good luck with your hatch.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.