Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Ducks

ducks

(19 posts)

1. joseph223

i have two khaki campbell ducks and one khaki campbell drake and twelve hens and one roaster. My two ducks stopped laying last November and have not layed since. Does anybody know when will they start laying again. i would just like to have a fair idea when they will lay again

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. Victoria1984

my khaki cambell started laying again 16 days ago

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. hi Joseph, I have 3 khaki girls 2 years old who only stop laying when in moult, it is very unusual for a khaki to go so long without laying, as you will already know they are the best egg laying duck there is and should lay up to 350 eggs per year, are you sure they arnt laying else where or that nothing is taking the eggs or they themselves not eating them, although if they were there would be some remnants of shell left in the house

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. joseph223

they might start laying soon hopefully

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. Lorna

Hi Joseph,
    Just wondering what age they were? KC can start to lay less after 4 yrs of age. I have personally found that with my young ducks who are mixed breed a well as the KC when they first start to lay they are prolific in the first year and it is almost as if they do not stop and then take a 3 to 4 month break from Nov to march last year that is what happened with some of mine in their first year. Hope yours start soon.

Best Regards
    Lorna

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. dollydylo

Hi there

We have four Khaki Campbells. They moulted just before December and the egg laying slowed and then stopped for a while. We are still only getting 2 -3 eggs a day. They are just under 2 years old. I think the weather is confusing everyone at the moment so hang in there and they should start again soon hopefully!!

Karen x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. Katydid

Hi,
    My KKs haven't layed over the winter. 2 have just started laying again (one is not yet a year old and blind and I don't know how old the other is) but I agree with dollydylo the weather is confusing everyone.
    This time last year I was getting 30 call duck eggs a week, so far I'm getting 1 a day and I've got more girls that last year.
    Most odd.

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. hello all, I still dont understand why so many campbell owners go for such long periods without laying when everything you read says they are without doubt the best egg layers and infact were deliberatly bred for that reason, as I said above up to 350 eggs per year, apart from when moulting my girls 2 years old lay all through the winter and last winter as we all remember was the worst in many years
    In one artical I read it states for a duck especially campbells to lay as meant to food intake is the only answer, I am 100% convinced my providing food and water 24 hours a day must be the reason my girls deliver,
    I except it isnt possible for everyone to do this but it seems to work for my girls as they do eat constantly through the night as ducks in the wild do x

quote from the domestic waterfowl club on campbell ducks
    Notes:Excellent foragers, keeping gardens and ponds free of, slugs, snails and worms; bred as a back garden duck two females are very happy with chickens or on their own and will give a dozen eggs per week if fed well.
    Egg Colour .....300-350 white eggs/year weighing approx., 71-75 gms each

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. Katydid

Hi m40mo,
    My ducks all have access to food all day and all night but I wonder if it is WHAT I feed them. What feed do you use?

Katy

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. hi Kate mine have the smallholder layer pellets and ocassional day time treats of tomato, pasta, peas or spinach and the odd handfull of corn mix, tried them once with sprouts even they didnt like them lol x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. campbell ridge
    Administrator

I would imagine it is why yours lay all year round Mo. It is what farmers do to produce the highest rate of egg laying.
    Not feeding at night promotes a more natural balance which is why production ups in the spring and also when mating takes off again. I think yours also mate all year round too?

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  12. Sarah, mine lay all year round as thats what campbells are meant to do, I feed them 24 hours not to produce eggs but because I personally think its up to them if they want to eat or not, not sure what you mean by natural balance though and yes as mentioned before mine do mate all year as you have mentioned yours do but no where near as much in the winter as we are begining to see now in the spring which is why they all live happily together in the winter months
    like I say not for everyone but lots do feed 24/7

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. Katydid

Mo, I feed mine 24 hours because, as you say, ducks naturally feed 24 hours a day in the wild.
    When you say smallholder layers pellets, are they for hens or ducks? I use the layers pellets for my hens but duck pellets are soo expensive but could easily use hens pellets if you think that will help them.
    After all, if they are meant to lay nearly all year and they aren't it does suggest a deficiency of some sort, perhaps.

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Mallards rest and roost at night. They don't feed when it's dark as they have to lie low to avoid being spotted by predators. That's what I meant about a more natural roosting/feeding pattern.
    I am quite happy that my ducks get a break from laying constantly but you do care for your ducks extremely well and it also works well for you having a large shed to house food and water.

Sarah L
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. hi Katy just the regular smallholder range for chickens and they are fine on them, im just wondering and no offence intended lol but are yours pure breed khakis just wondering if they are crossed with something maybe thats a reason for less eggs x
    i have just added 3 whites to my khakis and so far so good, 2 out of the 3 are already laying, its looking like egg kingdom in my kitchen lol

have to add that after several holidays on the Norfolk Broads, summer and autumn I can say that ducks geese and swans do feed and swim after dark and my cameras have shown me that ducks have perfect eyesight after dark to and on the water is probably the safest place for them really, its quite funny seeing them in the day time heads tucked on their backs fast a sleep just floating down river with boats going round them lol

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. Katydid

I hope that we are not too far off topic discussing this - but according to "The New Duck Handbook" which devotes half a page to the nocturnal activities of ducks wild mallards spend most of the night feeding. Certainly my own observations are that they are very active at night. When the bedroom windows are open I can hear the ducks quite clearly. (Call ducks are noisy) There will be periods of quiet followed by bursts of activity and this goes on all night.

Mo, I think that my Campbells are pure breed but I never met their parents so can't be sure. I am sure though that I should change their feed and add layers pellets to the wheat and barley.

Joseph, I'm sure that they will start laying soon. Spring is in the air.

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. Katy its not off topic at all, anything that helps us all to have an insight into duck behaviour is great, if you get the chance and the house is close enough i can really recomened puting a camera in, I already had one for a nest box when I got my first 3 ducks at a week old so put it in their shed as a nervous new mum, I can tell you now I have learnt far more about duck behaviour by watching them than from anything I have ever read, I wonder sometimes who writes these books anyway, just last week radio 2 DJ Steve Wright claimed as a fact that ducks only lay eggs in the early morning well not sure about you but I have had them as late as 5pm lol

Of course I can't say if changing their diet will make a difference I can only say I get the eggs I do, hope it does work for you though it would be an interesting test if nothing else x

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #
  18. Katydid

Steve Wright's 'factoid's' are renowned for being inaccurate.

I would love to have a camera out there ..... one day.

Anyway, I've already started the ducks on layers pellets, mind you, what to do with all the eggs? Ah well, another sign out - Duck Eggs For Sale.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. As you do in the middle of the night I thought of something else I do lol
    the shed the ducks sleep in has power and light and from their first winter when I felt bad for them going in at 4 pm I have left the light on for them only until 7 or 8 pm, it may make a difference to my girls but shouldn't really as they are meant to be laying anyway and doubt Mrs Campbell had lights in her sheds when she invented this breed lol
    It is something I do know egg producers do, in some birds the length of daylight hours does have a major effect on laying, maybe worth a try if possible, especially for other breeds x

and yes Katy I wonder what I will do with 6 eggs a day lol

mo x
    Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.