Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Quail

urgent help needed please

(5 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by ferityelf
  • Latest reply from ferityelf

1. ferityelf

I am looking after 3 quail, 2 female, one male. The male has badly injured one female, I think she may have lost an eye but there is lots of blood on the back of her head, I have left it to dry, no flies around and no point in wetting what is healing, I think??. I have seperated the three to allow the injured female to rest and not be bullied by the other female, tomorrow will be the second day, what do I do now? do I let the other female in to her, when should I let the male back in. I am in France, we have just got over a really cold winter and spring is springing. Not bothered about eggs just that they all survive. Please help, I don't know anything about looking after these little things.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Katydid

Dear ferityelf,
    I know nothing of quail but can you get wound powder in France? I don't know what it would be called there but it's available here from any farm store or equestrian store. I would keep her separate from the other two.
    A runner I had was attacked by a crow who took an eye out, it was a mess but wound powder and being kept separate the eye did eventualy heal over and the runner was fine.
    I'm sure someone here will be able to help you better than I can, but I would use some antiseptic on the wound.
    I hope all goes well.
    Katy

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. ferityelf

Hi Katy

Thank you for your reply, I have also had a response from a Quail farm in Wales, I thought anyone reading this may be interested, he suggested keeping them seperate until she is fully recovered and then introduce them back together in a strange environment to them all, but he has warned that once they pick on one they could take it to the end.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Hi ferityelf,
    I have only just read this and yes would definately suggest keeping them separate as birds tend to bully injured other birds and the others will start pecking at the blood.
    Hope your injured female recovers soon with no permanent damage.
    Kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. ferityelf

Thank you Sara, she seems to be doing ok so far, she's eating and I put a sand bath in for her last night, I am hoping she can rub some of the dried blood off that way. I was worried that if I seperated them for any length of time she would just give up, but I don't think it's a problem :)

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.