Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » General Discussion

hosepipe ban

(22 posts)

1. So alot of us here in Central and South East of England will have our hosepipe ban from the 5th April and seems alot of the country can expect the same soon
    While I except our country is in an awful water shortage situation I have to say im already dreading the though of how im going to fullfill the needs of my ducks without useing the hose, 2 ponds to clean and fill each week maybe more often in the warm summer days, clearing the lawn and paths of duck poo and the numerous water buckets dotted around, I dont care about the plants especially as im not doing veg this year and have just removed a large flower bed anyway
    alot of you have far more animals than me to care for and just wondering how you are all going to cope with it

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Katydid

Mo, I really feel for you, and everyone else in the same situation. It may well hit the west country, we've had so little rain this last year.

I'm lucky in using an old slurry tank to collect water and I use that to refill the duck pond(s). Being on a water meter though I've had water buts , old barrels, anything that holds water fitted to every roof we have. Including duck sheds, chicken sheds etc. Most years I don't have to use the hose at all. On a meter it would have cost a fortune with all our birds and it's amazing how much water a small roof on a duck house can collect in a short burst of rain.

Of course you are probably already doing that so it probably isn't of much help.

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. this animal care topic is being discussed on so many different forums seems its a worry for a lot of people from koi fish owners to horse owners, still havnt heard anyone talking about ducks we all know the swimming of ducks is about far more than them having fun, on advice from people I have emailed both my water company and the rspca and hope they at least reply
    below is one quote thats interesting sadley not from my waterboard though
    southernwater wrote:
    Does not apply to domestic ponds in which fish or aquatic animals are being reared or kept in captivity

umm is a duck an aquatic animal...I would say so

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. campbell ridge
    Administrator

Hi, we are also on a water meter so have numerous rainwater containers and a manmade water storage pit/well from which we pump water to fill our duck pools. (This can run out in the summer) We also use an old plastic dustbin that gets filled by the hose once a week for drinking water and the large pond stays uncleaned.
    The kiddie pool is cleaned with an old washing up brush so no need for a hose. I know it is more difficult if you have nowhere to store rainwater but there are a few waterbutt linkage systems you can get.
    Cars are washed with buckets and a brief 'rinse only' spray or taken to the car wash at supermarket.
    Hosing of paths and decking is not done here and plants are watered by using the old duck water.
    Hope there are some useful tips for some.
    Sarah

Sarah L
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. can't use butts here girls our roof drains go straight into our soak away which needs it more than my plants do, and all the house drains are internal so cant use them either and if I did have butts I wouldnt use it for swimming water for the ducks anyway,
    I do use the water I drain from their pools to water the garden and had a fab green lawn from them last year and as some will remember a fab crop of tomatos lol
    im going to get some butts now though to harvest their pool water for cleaning away poos, you two girls have land I have a garden and duck poos do have to be washed away from the patio and decking so that we can all enjoy the garden together

im going to see how I get on filling their pools with a bucket soon but don't think its on as one bucket wouldnt even cover the base so would take hours to do so if needs be they will have to cope with paddleing pools this summer which in a way is crazy as they will need draining and filling more often so I will probably end up using even more water than before :(

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Katydid

Mo, why does your soakaway need water? and why would you not use rain water for your ducks swimming? Sorry, just trying to understand.
    I know this is going to be a big problem for lots of people with animals, even farmers can't irrigate.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi Katy maybe said it wrong meant the underground needed it more than my plants,
    its not I wouldnt use rainwater as such, more I wouldnt risk putting potentially stangnent water from butts into their pools and even if I could collect water from the roof I doubt given the lack of rain I could store enough for one fill of their pools anyway, so it has to be mains one way or another

and yes going to be a long hard summer for lots of people, what makes me mad is football clubs can water a pitch and crops and animals have to suffer, but then I hate football lol

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. Katydid

I don't think that football clubs will be able to water the pitch if they don't have their own water. At least I hope not. They'll all have to go over to astro turf.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. Mama

After reading all comments ,yes good idea's on how to save water but only if we have the rain .Ours is the same as yours Mo although we have a well it will run dry again this summer .The pond is still dry from last summer and wasn't happy with them swimming or drinking foul water as we ate the eggs so closed it off. That was another reason to rehome my geese and so glad I did it when I did .The thoughts of carrying ten 20 litre buckets everyday again would have been daunting to say the least .We will all suffer one way or another even if the rain falls ,bans will still be on and will here to. We are also on metered water ,it doesn't worry me to use it as my veg are more precious then the bill and not being flippant at all .Just hope the stream will keep our veg garden going but like you all I doubt it .So hope for one and all we manage one way or another in a difficult situation .As for footie pitches I do hope they are NOT serious !!Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. Oh Kate and Mama you wont be happy but all premier league clubs will be allowed to use hoses on the pitches, I have read it in more than one artical but here is a local newspaper link confirming it, and my local waterboard have some how found some magical water to ensure all the Olympic grounds will look pretty for all the foreign visitors

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/headlines/9585248.___Hosepipe_ban_will_be_a_real_struggle___/

I dont have a metre so can't really compare our costs but do know we pay alot of money for our water, but this isn't really about who pays what,or how we use it, to me its about the welfare of my ducks and all animals in general, think its kind of sad more people havnt had a say on how they plan to care for their animals in what is going to be very difficult times for us all

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. Mama

Mo ,we had water rates in the uk and our younger son did too,after switching to metered water he found he saved 400£'s a year and they are a family of four not a family of two as they were . Yes it is a pity more are not commenting and do agree it is all down to our or your birds comfort or for me alone my veggies at the mo .All are precious to each .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. dollydylo

Hi there

For once I am glad we moved to Ireland.. no hosepipe bans here as it rains too much LOL. Hope you get a solution to this problem. I am suprised that hosepipes that provide water for the health and happiness of animals aren't allowed.

Good luck!!

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. Hi all copied this from another forum
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    To confirm, a hosepipe can be used for the purposes of dealing with ducks. We would not wish to put the life of wildlife at risk

Regards
    Anglian Water Customer Satisfaction Team

now just need to convince Thames water or try to move to East Anglia in the next 3 weeks lol

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. Katydid

Mo, are you sure that this doesn't apply to all water companies?
    Farmers do still have to water animals so individuals should be able to too.
    Good luck with Thames anyway.
    Katy

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. well im hopeing so Katy, the person who wrote to Anglian Water has said he has written to Thames Water for me, I would like something in writting just in case

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. Katydid

Mind you Mo, if you had seen watchdog tonight I think that you would be spitting Duck feathers. Huge amounts of water is wasted by the water companies, especially Thames!
    Trouble is it costs Money to fix and people don't want bills to go up.
    In the SW there has been a huge amount of investment in the infrastructure, and it IS reflected in our bills. They are the highest in the country. I guess we can't have it all ways.

BUT, animal health should come before football pitches and golf courses.

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. I didn't see it Katy but did already know that Thames Water has the worst record for leaks, I do have some sympathy with them as they also cover one of the largest areas including London which with so many old pipes must be a nightmare for them and yes very expensive to repair, so if I wanted to be flippant I might say well thankfully as i'm clearly paying far more for my water than people on metres im helping them in a small way lol

I'm pleased for anyone who has found a way to cut down on their bills so Sarahs new post may be helpful to some,but theres also a danger that to some people makeing savings on their bills my have the opposite effect and make some waste more than they do now,

I must just say though interesting as it was to read, I didnt start this post to talk about water metres or who pays what for their water, how they use it or how they save and store it, this post was asking how people planned to care for their animals during the hose pipe ban, so would still be interesting to hear from members who currently use hosepipes

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. reply to my question to the rspca
    Thank you for your online enquiry.

There is a dilemma in such instances. Drought Orders are being introduced because of the serious water shortage. The environmental effects of this will affect many animals. Breaking the conditions of
    such Drought Orders may result in penalties.
    However, under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 you have a legal responsibility to ensure that an animal's needs are met and to avoid causing unnecessary suffering. Ensuring that your ducks have access to clean water for drinking and bathing etc would be considered necessary to comply with the welfare provisions of the Act.

like others I do care about the enviroment and as said above the awful situation we all face with the water shortage and also I've said will make some changes around the garden, hopefully if I can keep them as one group for the summer I will be able to get away with only one pool but I honestly see no difference in useing a hosepipe or using a bucket to provide clean swimmning water for them apart from the time it will save me and back ache of course

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  19. Katydid

I think the RSPCA's answer is typical of that organisation. Of no help at all. Use the hosepipe and get fined, don't use the hosepipe and put animals at risk and get fined.

Crazy world we live in.
    Katy
    ps You can be flippant with me any time.

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. right im kind of sorted, today we got 3 water butts and have pipes linking them to each other and yes have attached the first one to the roof drain pipe in the hope we get some rain, the best news for me is the pump I use to drain the pools which will be drained into the butts has had a new hose attached to it so now I can drop the pump into the butts to blast away the duck poos around the garden, have tried it today and it works just as well as hoseing from the mains, so my garden can be duck poo free during the hosepipe ban....
    now getting fresh water to the pools is another matter lol but happy for now that my ducks and me can still live in a healthy garden together despite the hosepipe ban and without me wasting fresh water

mo x
    Posted 7 years ago #
  21. Katydid

Absolutely delighted. I have been meaning to mention a pump in the water butt for the last few days but ....well, had a few things going on here.

I know you'll get value out of it. A small burst of rain, you'll be amazed at how much you collect.
    KT

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. Mama

Super news and yes just one good day of rain will fill the butts.Do think it's rotten none of us can use grey water as we would all love to do so .Welll done Mo and hope it all works well .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.