Register or log in:

Farming Friends Forum » Introductions

Hi all, Chickenoholic from Ireland here

(8 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by CluckyHen
  • Latest reply from dollydylo

1. Just getting to introduce myself now, stumbled upon this forum by accident and have to say it is a great place with what seem to be great people too which always helps :)

On a personal note, I'm a mammy to 3 little boys and into chickens last few years. It was a total addiction, started with a broody and chicks and ended up buying an incubator and hitting 108 last year. As I was pregnant I rapidly cut down my numbers back to 16 chickens now which is way more managable

The breeds I've kept were Salmon Faverole, Orpingtons, Cream Legbar, Light Sussex, Pekins and Ducks, Blue Fawn Miniture appleyards

I now only have 2 pure breed pens, Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantams and Bielefelder, The few other hens with them are silkies, pekins, an orpington, a maran, and a few mixed breeds.

I love baking so the glut of eggs is never a problem either!

I also started last year into Poultry Supplies attending local bring & buy sales and have recently included smallholding products.

Looking forward to getting to know ye and to some good chats :)

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Hi Cluckyhen,
    Welcome to the famringfriends forum. I live on a beef cattle and arable farm and I have my own poultry which consists of hens, guinea fowl, quail and ducks. I also have 4 farm cats that are really my pets although they live outside, although they have just discovered we have underfloor heating in the kitchen!
    Look forward to chatting with you.
    kind regards
    Sara @ farmingfriends

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Pastordot

Welcome Cluckyhen!

You will find great information and friends on here, and I am sure with all of your variety you will have lots to share as well.

I love your subject title "chickenoholic"!!!!!!!! That caught my eye right away as there are lots of other chickenoholics and duckoholics here to keep you company!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings,
    Dottie

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. Katydid

Welcome Cluckyhen.

You've found a very friendly and informative forum (thanks sara) with lots of poultryaholics on it.

I'm in Devon with a smallholding. Lots of ducks, all sorts, chickens, all sorts and now geese.
    I'm sure you'll find plenty to chat about.
    KT

No holidays, too many birds.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Lorna

Hi Clucky Hen,
    I live in the North of Ireland and have some ducks. Calls, Indian runners and khaki campbell etc..

Best Wishes
    Lorna

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. Mama

Welcome Cluckyhen from another member ,what a busy life you must lead .Three little boys for a start ,only had two myself and that was enough thankyou :)))and plus the chooks .Phew busyhen more like .Mama

Goose Girl
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. Hi welcome to this forum and i am also a new in this site.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. dollydylo

Hi there

Nice to meet you and get some background info on you.. 108 hens? OMG!
    Are you off facebook now? I tried to look up a couple items and you had gone!
    I have a little girl who has just turned 5, and a son who is 6. We first got a cockeral and 6 hens 3 years ago, and despite losing some due to illness, and also rehoming some cockerals that we raised, we currently have 14 hens and 4 khaki campbell ducks. we live in Cork, close to Kinsale, and fortunately have land for the hens to free range too.
    x

Karen x
    Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.